Sign in to follow this  
giusto

pick-n-pull adventure

5 posts / 1285 viewsLast Reply

so, i found a 5 speed still mounted in an '82 320. i did some searching through the forum and couldn't find any advice about testing to see whether it's a good candidate or not while it's sitting in the car ... out of the car, i found this tid bit of knowledge.

it seemed to slip into all gears fine with a little play in each. there is a good coat of grime but no leaks or puddles in the gravel below. before getting the wrenches out, is there anything i can do to check this thing out?

also, is it worth grabbing the LSD?

oh, and one other thing ... this P-n-P has what looks like a a gray market 735 with a 5 speed.

also, is it worth grabbing the LSD?

If it has one, yes. Check that both wheels spin in the same direction.

Larry

Did the 320i happen to have an odometer in it... The easiest way to tell the mileage on a tranny is to look at the odo... you are correct in that there is no good way in telling the internal condition of a transmission externally.

Which PNP is it in the Bay Area?? That euro 735 is interesting!

thanks for the responses so far!

the odometer is at 128,000 and from what I understand, this isn't too bad.

i was pressed for time and foolish for not spinning the rears to see if it actually has a LSD. are 320 'sports' the only e21s that carry a LSD? the bummer is that i have to wait a couple weeks before i can get back up there to check it out ... the cars (the 320 and the 735) are both up in Nevada.