Guest Anonymous

overheating at idle Need help and or input

6 posts / 1156 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

Just had my new motor installed. Block was boiled out new water pump, curt ingraham radiator. was timed with a light. Car runs great at speed but sitting at a light almost goes into the red. My question is this . Is there something internal to the motor that could cause this? This engine runs great never had heating issues after installing curts radiator. Car has ac but this has never been a issue in the past. Have used a laser on the radiator water. Have done everything we know to do. Any suggestions. Also changed thermostat several times, Checked water temp at top of rad and bottom. One degree difference, around 220 f.TIA

Sounds like you may have an air pocket somewhere in the coolent circulating system. You may have done this, but run w/ the heater lever all the way to hot (right). As I'm sure you know, the lower hose temp should be cooler that the upper. Might try removing the radiator cap before the engine gets warm, run the engine, then see if the coolent in the radiator starts to move or flow when the engine warms up and the thermostat opens. Also might want to contact Curt Ingraham and see what thoughts he has.

Bob Napier

depending on where you live _

with a good air conditioner working, hot climate,

low air flow ( you should also have a fan shroud

on your radiator) you will run to 212*F, at which point a Aux Cooling

fan should switch on to maintain the temp at around 190* +/-

a few degrees.

remove the air conditioning, set the timing at 1,400 rpm, and report back.

Something is wrong.

I have Curt's radiator, and A/C. In stop and go traffic down here, when it is +100 - the car doesn't heat up past the 4 o'clock mark on the water temp gauge. And, I don't have a shroud or an electric fan. I think that's about 90 C (if you peek at the temp numbers on your gauge). By the way, my brand new fancy VDO oil temp gauge says about 200 F for oil temp when the car is running for long periods.

Maybe air in the system? Maybe a bad water pump? Let us know when you solve the mystery.

1. You mentioned lotsa new parts, but a thermostat wasn't one of 'em. Did you check the 'stat to see if the lower hose was cool when the engine is running hot? If so, the 'stat isn't opening. Even new ones are known to be bad outa the box...

2. If you installed a new fan belt, it has probably stretched a bit in the first few weeks of operation. It can be tight enough to run the alternator, but slipping enough to affect water pump operation. check belt for tightness and re-tighten as necessary.

Overheating at idle is insufficient coolant flow and/or fan action. Nothing you'll notice once the car is moving, since ram air will keep the radiator cool.

cheers

mike