djm1968

jack stand placement -- long term

4 posts / 1298 viewsLast Reply

Hello,

Getting ready to tear off from/rear suspension and sub frames and need some advice on where to support the car. The car does not have a motor or trans, otherwise it is complete. Went to harbor freight and bought 4 *huge* 6-ton jack stands to compliment my 3 ton stands. I expect the car will be up on stand for many months -- where do you suggest I place the stands? In the front, the frame rails seem an obvious choice, but in the rear?

Any advice much appreciated!

Thanks,

DJM

DJM, I did this same job last winter and placed some wood under the seam that runs under the rocker in the rear, just before where the rear sub frame mounts.I put my jack stands on the wood. Worked like a charm.

larry

In the rear, if I am removing subframe, I use 12" sections of 2x4s and run them lengthwise with the car and so they bridge the outer body lip and the floor board.

Edit: Yeah, what deuce said.

Good info guys -- thanks! I've got some 2x4 around here some where...

Cheers,

DJM