• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wiper arm troubles

jgerock

I had a similar problem on my 74 when I got it. Removing the linkage revealed incorrect number of washers underneath. Bought the rubber grommet and new washers and followed the diag that CD posted. There is plenty of clearance now.

Byas

I had a similar problem on my 74 when I got it. Removing the linkage revealed incorrect number of washers underneath. Bought the rubber grommet and new washers and followed the diag that CD posted. There is plenty of clearance now.

Byas

I purchased new pivots, rods, grommits, hardware and installed everything per the Blue book. If I press down on the motor, the linkage will clear the cowl. The foam supporting "block" that is normally glued to the body is missing from below my motor so that isn't the issue.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

mine also rubbed and without taking them apart to sort out why, I swung by a local glass company that has been around for many years. The felt as though the wiper "pivot bushings" were worn and showed me that by pulling upward on the arm there was slop. He adjusted the arm on the post to a higher location and they have been fine since. While not a correct solution, it worked. Now that I have read this thread, I will investigate further the washers etc

Jeff

Jim make sure the spacer that is #15 on C.D's diagram is installed it keeps the rubber from being compressed to far.

If you need a picture of the spacer I have a spare I can take a photo of.

Good luck!

Yes - I installed new spacers (rings) inside the rubber cowl grommits.

3709003.jpg

3709001.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• 3 weeks later...

Both arms gouged the lock strip on my car after I had the car painted (glass out) years ago. Didn't notice the problem as I never drive in the rain, and by the time I ran the wipers I had moved a couple hundred miles from the shop that did the lame reinstall.

Long story short, I just had my windshield replaced (it was the original SIGLA glass labeled West Germany and my car has well over 250K miles, so it had dings and was seriously pitted), and insisted that the seal be replaced with a new BMW gasket. My insurance company stepped up and covered it. Between that and a good installer (he showed me his pristine 325is when I drove in with my tii), no more gouging. He even filled the dings in the old windshield, gratis, which I took home to "repurpose" as garage art.

N

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged