12 posts / 1126 viewsLast Reply

Well , I am getting closer to the finish, after a repaint of a bad paint job , the engine and trans going in soon. I have the seats being redone and carpet and interior trim around the rear deck being done at a shop close by. I bought about year ago a turbo motor in a car off ebay , and that engine and 5 speed will be going in this car. Rear disc brakes and 320I front brakes will be installed also .This is my first 02 project and being a fan of CanAm roadsters , I wanted my own inexpensive version. Anyone remember the Chapparals by Jim Hall . I could never afford one of those even if you could buy one. So this is my twist on a roadster. The new seats sit on the floor pan so being low in the car allowed for a 4 inch chop of the windshield. I fabricated brackets to mount 98 328I side mirrors , just need to be mounted.

There's flaws here and there but overall , car looks good. Definite learning curve on these little Gems. For about 10 grand not bad , to me it is a keeper.

Next up will be my DD 76 M20 transplant .

I like the nothing down , nothing a month car payment plan. Besdies to me all the new BMWs , Hondas , Mercedes, etc all look very similar in body contours . These cars are timeless pieces of art in my opinion.

post-3074-13667591917035_thumb.jpg

post-3074-13667591918757_thumb.jpg

post-3074-13667591920482_thumb.jpg

post-3074-13667591923102_thumb.jpg

post-3074-13667591924815_thumb.jpg

Very cool - nice work. I think all the personalized, custom mods you've done make your 02 quite unique. The hood louvers, cut-down windshield and rear spoiler all seem very in-spirit with your objective/inspiration for the car.

Betcha can't wait to drive it!

Tom

Let's see some shots of the engine...

How were the louvers made? Did you just cut them out of the stock metal hood?

Oh I remeber those cars well and I am crazy feeling your ride!

Outstanding is what comes too mind!

Nice work.....but I have to be honest. I absolutely hate the roll bar. Applaude you for trying something different on the whole car in general but I'm just not feeling this bar.......visually the lines just don't work for me.....

otherwise looks like a killer project....

congrats.....

I LIKE IT A LOT. very nice work. i think the bar will look better once seats are in place. great job

Is there extra chassis bracing? In our cabriolet there's extra bracing but it still gets some cowl shake. [/i]

Thanks for the "kudos" .

1) yes extra bracing in floor pan, quarter inch steel plate 4" wide standinging on edge and welded down the side from rear wheel well to firewall tucked against the side. Then we welded a 8" wide plate across and over the tunnel behind the shifter hole it was welded to the sides and the floor in several places. It won't move. And you won't see it when it is carpeted.

2) Roll bar will look better when it gets the foam padding and the seats are in. We tried several different shapes.

3) We also did away with the windows , formed sheet metal over the tops and around the back. We also had no need for window cranks or door handles on the outside. If I had more time there was a way I could have dissassembled the vent windows, milled the parts smaller , cut glass and put them back together, but timing for machine time ruled that out.

4) Hood vents , these came from a cental air unit that we cut 2 rows off of. It was new metal and cut holes in the hood and used a special tool create a lip to recess the louvers flush with the hood. Welded and leaded them in.

5) Also , contemplating push button start on shifter with toggles to control fuel and ignition. Then no keys except trunk.

6) I also made a custom 4 point strut brace , cut away the sheet metal that the hood latch rested on. I attached that to the new cross brace. No heater core , all gone , a plate welded over. Now lots of room to layout all the wiring and stuff in a very clean way.

7) This is a car for a very nice day , It will never see rain, in Florida you don't need a heater either.

8) Last, hope to be able to race it in the vintage car stuff. I know the chassis and suspension will hold it.

More photos to follow. Bernie

Thanks Blunt for all your parts help.

Wow that is quite the effort. That should be a blast on the track as you describe it. I am in Orlando FL, there are about 6-8 2002's around here.