ChuckinNC

Help, my Tii motor cuts out intermittently !!

7 posts / 1261 viewsLast Reply

Rebuilt motor has been running fine. It idles smooth, accelerates strong, and starts easily. All new stock ignition parts (coil, points, cap, wires, condensor). It is a stock 1973 Tii

When cruising along 60 to 70 mph, with light throttle, the motor will quit. Sometimes it just misses (bucks) for a second, other times it has quit and I have to coast to the side of the road. It will restart before coming to a stop. This happens once or twice every 10 miles when it is acting up. Other times it will run smoothly.

The only clue I have is that the tach needle will jump up and down during and preceding this event. This makes me think it is an electrical problem. I have wiggled the wires around the distributor and at the relay on the passenger side (anyone know what this relay does ??). The only thing unusual is that at the negative terminal on the coil, I get a faint shock when I touch it with my finger. Could this indicate a bad coil ?

Thanks for any help or suggestions. I love to drive it, but this is taking the fun out of it.

Chuck in NC

clean the points and reset the gap to 0.016",

or better yet - use a dwell meter and adjust to 60 degrees

The relay mounted next to the coil is for the starting circuit. Based on what I've read, this was only used on the 72 and 73 tii's. Does your car still have the ceramic ballast resistor installed?

Check points gap/condition, distributor shaft (for wobble), advance springs inside distributor, (also possibly a bad ground)?

post-8235-13667591943359_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions,

Points look fine .. they are nearly new and no signs of pitting. I checked the dwell and it is about 55 degrees.

My car still has the ceramic resistor. I did figure out that the relay allows this resistor to be bypassed when the starter is engaged. During normal running, current flows through the resistor at reduced voltage.

The ignition circuit is not fused and the voltage to the coil comes from the ignition switch. Jiggling the switch doesn't seem to cause the problem. I suspect it could be a wiring problem as the tach, fuel pump, and the coil are powered by the same wire from the ignition switch. The tach and fuel pump are protected by the same fuse, while there is no fuse in the coil circuit.

I cleaned the appropriate termnals under the fuse block and took it for a ride. No problems, but I can't say that it is fixed. I'll check the distributor for wobble. The mechancial advance seems to be working based on a check with my timing light.

This would be a fun ride if I can solve this issue.

Chuck in NC

Thanks for the suggestion. I replaced the new red Bosch coil with the blue coil that the car came with. I figure that it ran for many years with the blue coil, and while it isn't correct, the car runs fine with it.

I need to drive it for about 50 miles, and if it doesn't act up again, I will declare victory. I think the condensor is that next thing to try. It is new, but I saved the old one just in case.

Chuck in NC

Sounds like an electrical issue to me. If the new coil doesn't help try running a new line (temporary) to the coil just to be sure that there is not a problem there. I installed a relay that is switched with the key to make that line more direct.