Sign in to follow this  
H_Krix

Quality stereo? Vintage look?

15 posts / 1646 viewsLast Reply

Check this out

h068RETRO1-o_mt.jpeg

No internal CD or direct iPod control, so it won't work for what I want, but I know a lot of people would be interested in this sort of thing.

With all that wind noise, vibration and harsh ride, you want quality sound, too?

I'd opt for something a bit more chronologically appropriate.

Vintage Audiovox, anyone???

Delia

post-169-13667591832148_thumb.jpg

I'd opt for something a bit more chronologically appropriate.

I think I got booted from the "Chronologically Appropriate" party when I started fitting Ford EDIS and Fuel-injection computers into my car...

I love the look of the vintage Beckers and Blaupunkts, but I need iPod control and a subwoofer output. I didn't lay all that soundproofing for nothing!

Soundproofing.jpg

(No, i'm not adding anything with Dolphins or the like. I'd like to find an OEM Becker from a Porsche or Mercedes, or an OEM Blau from a Z3 to run with my system if I can. If not, I'll probably go with a Nakamichi)

dont worry harrison. my car is done and on the road and is very quiet with the windows up. i have almost no wind noise and my stereo sounds awesome. it may be 70lbs heavier than it should be but when you slam the door you get a quality thud.

Hi Harrison,

I've gone with a full-glass touch screen, black-out panel on mine (no physical knobs/buttons of any kind). Fits nicely in the Parker custom leather console with my VDO gauges and Behr A/C. Has iPod and external amp connections. (225 watt Xplode under the drivers seat, feeding Boston components up front in custom 'glas footwell modules and Boston 6x9s in the rear shelf.) The sound is great, and I love my music, though sometimes I just gotta listen to the motor and dual-sidedrafts symphony too. ;-)

Not "vintage-correct', but then my whole ride isn't going for that look (obviously). But it's not all crazy buttons and lights and geometric shapes and such that doesn't look like it belongs either. Just a simple solid flat 'stealth' face.

HTH,

Tom

I've gone with a full-glass touch screen, black-out panel on mine

You got any shots of that handy Tom? I'd like to see what you've come up with.

Here ya go (crop of a pic I had handy). Panel has black glass face, it's reflecting sky above in this pic.

Tom

post-1565-1366759190227_thumb.jpg

Becker has a super cool looking vintage stereo available.

Cris

Mine is getting a Nakamichi cd400.

thats a nice clean unobtrusive head unit that doesnt scream "look at me"

I'm about 85% finished wiring the LCD screen and volume/track controls from a modern am/fm/cd/ipod deck to fit in the housing of a Blaupunkt Frankfurt.

The actual deck sits behind where the center speaker used to be, and the blaupunkt faceplate looks as it should until the stereo powers up and displays the LCD (where the radio frequencies used to be). Volume knob works as usual and you can skip tracks using the tuner knob.

I'll post pictures when its up and running.

I just went for something cheap in a wood center that my dad made for me.

post-2836-13667591933558_thumb.jpg