Sign in to follow this  
Rtown

Stereo/Carpet question

2 posts / 661 viewsLast Reply

newbie to the 02's and slowly fixing one up that I bought a month ago. PO had speakers in the door panels but since I bought new panels, didn't want to cut into them. Purchased surface mount speakers to put behind driver/passenger seats. Short story long, how can I run speaker wire under the carpet to the stereo? I thought I read that carpets are glued down. Also open to any other suggestions. Thx

are in many pieces and the glue is pretty weak. Just peel the carpets back and run the wires where they won't be abraded by feet on the carpet above 'em.

If yours is a squarelight with the one piece carpet, the easiest way is to run the speaker wires along the firewall and cowl sides to the leading edge of the door. Then pry loose the trim that holds the carpet to the door edge opening, and remove the plastic doorsill trim. That will allow you to work the edge of the carpet loose, and slip the wires under the carpet edge. At the back edge of the door opening, you should be able to weasel the wires under the last few inches of carpet to the rear seat riser. Then pop the rear seat bottom out and you're ready to hook 'em up to the speakers.

cheers

mike