• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tii guru's question

Armond

that's easy: YES

early 72 tii's came with 10:1, I know at least 3 tii's with 10:1 and stock pump. I am not a guru, but I am sure real gurus will chime in and agree...

The only question is forged vs cast pistons, as I believe 10:1 are only available now forged.

FAQ Member # 91

thanks Michael,

I'm looking to purchase Grover's block. Thanks

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

(nt)

Tom Jones

BMW mechanic for over 25 years, BMWCCA since 1984
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 585k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Yes a Tii will work fine with higher compression I.E. 10:1... Especially if Sean tunes it... BUT with our piss poor 91 octane gas in California it'll ping like mad unless you use higher octane!

Are Tom "Grover's" pistons/lower end really euro 10:1 for 121 heads or are they E12 9.5:1 euro Tii pistons?? heads/pistons are not easily swappable between the different styles...

Generally the max streetable pistons/compression are 9.3 2002Ti pistons for the 121 head and then 9.5:1 euro Tii pistons for E12 heads.

I know of no 10:1pistons for E12 heads.... off hand from the deep memory... I can look it up though... As far as my memory recalls the higher compression than 9.5 for E12 or 121 heads are Mahle Racing pistons at 12.5.... I can look it up though.. I think I still have a Mahle piston book around here somewhere... come to think of it either Sean has got one or there may actually be one at IPB... or... Thinking out loud sorry if I ramble.

HTH

Tom Jones

BMW mechanic for over 25 years, BMWCCA since 1984
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 585k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

be warned that the euro 10:1 Tii had a different cone into the kfish pump.

there was a reason for that.

higher compresison ratio=different fueling needs.

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

that's easy: YES

early 72 tii's came with 10:1, I know at least 3 tii's with 10:1 and stock pump. I am not a guru, but I am sure real gurus will chime in and agree...

The only question is forged vs cast pistons, as I believe 10:1 are only available now forged.

I believe you are correct on that, but I'm not certain. When I found Hugo, Michel Potheau told me that he "bet" it had 10:1 compression, since it was an early tii (#129). I also have a spare tii engine with the stock pistons (tii #81). I hope to rebuild that engine someday, but I don't know if the original pistons will be up to the task.

Overall, the later E12 Piano Top tii pistons are suppose to be better. But, there's something very cool about the 121 Bathtub style pistons (they purportedly "do" produce higher compression...at least they did when "new"). Now, it probably isn't noticable.

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

be warned that the euro 10:1 Tii had a different cone into the kfish pump.

there was a reason for that.

higher compresison ratio=different fueling needs.

But that does not mean you can not get the car tuned into very good running shape. It may not be perfect, but it will be very much more than sufficient. Most A4 systems out there (at least in the USA) are running cams and other stuff (like increaseed compression) with stock tii pumps and doing just fine, thank you. So, a little bump up in compression on an otherwise stock tii with the stock USA pump is fine and dandy.

One engine builder told me that by running a 292 on the A4 system in my last tii that the car was "not going to reach its full potential." That may be so, but it beat the snot out of most cars that had reached their full potential. Just ask Dubois, he blew up the engine for me.....

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '92 M5T (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/