Austin

clutch problem

5 posts / 1186 viewsLast Reply

i think my clutch is going out. it was getting real difficult to put in gear especially when its cold. i took it in where i always take it and they said it was indeed the clutch just by going by symptoms. but there was a brand new clutch put in just 2 years ago when i got the car. could it be the master and slave cylinder? the only symptoms is the difficulty putting it in gear and the fact that the pedal has to be all the way to the floor for it to be in neutral. if i let it out just a wee bit it starts to catch. But no over reving or anything like that. im ordering a master and slave cylinder tonight.

thanks

Austin

look behind the rubber boots on the cylinders, fluid there means they are leaking and may not be able to hold the pedal pressure.

if no fluid is present inside the boot as noted above -

pressure flush the fluid to remove old fluid and air that remains from

the last hack who did an incomplete repair. Flush your brakes at the same time also .

Look under the car at the Metalastic mounting blocks that hold the shift linkage tower to the tranny. If they're worn out the tower will move when you move the shift lever, making it difficult to put in gear, especially first. They may also be loose. Observe the tower/linkage from under the car while assistant moves the shift lever from gear to gear.

A relatively easy (but fiddlly as the blocks are hard to reach) repair...

cheers

mike