76Verona

can you tap an intake manifold (320i) for injectors

4 posts / 1086 viewsLast Reply

I'm working on putting together the components for my fuel injection project wich will later become my turbo project. I have the intake manifold from the '81 1.8 engine, is it possible to tap it for injectors? I'd really like to use it,

1: because I have it already

2: I like the way they look, better than the 77-79 manifolds

3: I don't want to use the 1.8l head and lower my compression

Which fuel distributor should I look for?

or is this just not possible?

-mike

I think some of those had the injectors in the runners and some had them in the head. I could be wrong.

Yes you can drill and put in injector pockets. I did this with a Volvo EFI manifold years ago. I bought the injector pockets from Summit.com and drilled it on a Bridgport to make sure they were all the same angle and depth. Then I had a local welder weld them in for me. DIDn't some of the CIS cars have the injectors in a plate between the manifold and the head?

John

I think some of those had the injectors in the runners and some had them in the head.

John

You are correct, the only different part is the little stub part of the manifold that bolts to the head. I'd look for one of those on an earlier 320.

You might look at using the 318i manifold ('84-'85) instead. It looks the same as the '80-'83 320i manifold but already has holes in it for injectors. The 320i which used the manifold that you are thinking of using had the injectors directly in the head.