shelby4130

Noob who needs a starting point...

11 posts / 960 viewsLast Reply

Hello everyone, I wanted to introduce myself as I am sure I will be here often. I have been reading around for the last week and have soaked up a lot of info.

Friday I will be picking up my very first 02! I'm pretty pumped about it. I've tinkered with quite a few cars so I should be pretty set but I need some advice from you seasoned 02 fans. Where should I start?

The car is a 76 with about 160k miles. Still runs strong though. Totally stock. I would really like to see it get to around 150 ponies. My budget is tight, but I understand this isnt a cheap hobby. Most of this will be spread out over time as I save and save. (I spend money on bike parts like you wouldn't believe)

Anyhow, where should I start? Go for a rebuild? Elec ignition? Jump straight into exhaust? Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot for all the info already posted here and everything that will come in the future.

Michael

I was where you are a year ago. There's the temptation to jump right into accessories and upgrades. (My first purchase was a Nardy wheel.) But common sense prevailed and I decided to have the car thoroughly evaluated by a trusted mechanic. After bearings, brake lines, oil/filter, plugs, wires, etc. I felt free to look ahead to upgrades. There's no better peace of mind than a clean bill of health mechanically. Now I spend my time and money making changes that aren't absolutely necessary, but do personalize the car - wheels, battery relocation, seats and on and on. Welcome to the sickness! There's no cure, but at least it won't kill you!

I'm new too and I have a '76 with about the same mileage. You'll find alot of info here. Definitely start with mechanics then go for the extra's. I'm changing all my hoses with fresh clamps. Changing oil and filter. Cleaning the air filter, etc. Got big plans. But have fun. It can be therapy...live a long life so you can drive more.

Mike

Glad to see someone else in Austin at about the same point I am (although I've owned mine for a few months, I haven't gotten around to much because of the typical money issue). Like Omarcenaro said, Terry Sayther's is the place to go.

-Merek

Welcome aboard! A great hobby - you won't regret it! You didn't mention what type of bikes (or did you?), but 02's and mtn bikes (and road bikes!) go hand in hand.

I am new to Austin but have a couple of 02s. I need to visit Terry, haven't made the time.

We may have enough folks to get a meeting together!

-Jason

Hello everyone, I wanted to introduce myself as I am sure I will be here often. I have been reading around for the last week and have soaked up a lot of info.

Friday I will be picking up my very first 02! I'm pretty pumped about it. I've tinkered with quite a few cars so I should be pretty set but I need some advice from you seasoned 02 fans. Where should I start?

The car is a 76 with about 160k miles. Still runs strong though. Totally stock. I would really like to see it get to around 150 ponies. My budget is tight, but I understand this isnt a cheap hobby. Most of this will be spread out over time as I save and save. (I spend money on bike parts like you wouldn't believe)

Anyhow, where should I start? Go for a rebuild? Elec ignition? Jump straight into exhaust? Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot for all the info already posted here and everything that will come in the future.

Michael

Welcome to the board Michael.

For 150hp you will need a quite a bit of work. Im sure with your reading you will have seen the usual "go 45DCOE's, 292 or 304 cam, headwork, high compression rebuild" so i wont bore you with that. All i really can say is the stock 02 exhaust is a good flowing unit up to 120/30hp. Simply put on a tii exhaust mani and you'll be set up to 140/50'ish hp. Then again, people like headers so there are plenty of cheap second hand ones around.

Tom

and can attest to their theraputic (but sometimes maddening) value...

As has been stated, get it in good safe mechanical condition before you start in on the performance stuff. I had my engine rebuilt two years ago--it needed it badly--wtih some very mild tweaks (284 cam, 9.5 pistons, lightened flywheel & and 5 speed) and it performs very well. And I'll guarantee you it doesn't have anywhere near 150 hp.

So enjoy it stock for awhile before you do any power enhancing mods (unless it still has its Solex carb--then get a Weber ASAP).

And tell Terry hi for me when you drop by.

cheers from Ohio (and a Texas Ex)

mike

Ive met Terry. I take my other BMW down there. Cool place, cool work.

Thanks for all the responses, I will need to meet up with some of you other Austin folks sometime. Seems like we have a lot of them running around, although I almost never see any.

I think I am getting a grasp on where to go. The car is currently getting some frsh oil and a quick inspection. I suppose I can go from there.

To Tom, are 45s the best way or would 40s be enough? Seems like 45s would almost be overkill, no?

Also, what would be the best place to put my money if I were to overhaul the motor? I would like to not have to pull the whole thing, but I guess I am not opposed to it. Could or should I just pull off the top half, give it a clean, maybe port the heads, new gaskets? I would most likely go with a 292 cam based on what Ive read, anything else?

Thanks again for the responses, but dont stop them if youve got more!

Welcome aboard! A great hobby - you won't regret it! You didn't mention what type of bikes (or did you?), but 02's and mtn bikes (and road bikes!) go hand in hand.

I am new to Austin but have a couple of 02s. I need to visit Terry, haven't made the time.

We may have enough folks to get a meeting together!

-Jason

Oh and to Jason, I do mostly mtb but am not shy on the road either. I've got a couple road bikes, and I'm currently building my first fixie. Most of my rides are single speeds. Good stuff.

To Tom, are 45s the best way or would 40s be enough? Seems like 45s would almost be overkill, no?

Also, what would be the best place to put my money if I were to overhaul the motor? I would like to not have to pull the whole thing, but I guess I am not opposed to it. Could or should I just pull off the top half, give it a clean, maybe port the heads, new gaskets? I would most likely go with a 292 cam based on what Ive read, anything else?

40's would be enough because you can up jet them to close to what 45's can take from what ive read. Im no carby expert though - this is stevek, dapbmw, others bag ;-). 45's are overkill on a stock motor imho.

Sounds like your on the ball for the rest of it. If your keen to do some engine work, it sounds like Terry is your man. Maybe discuss some options with him so you can decide whats in/out of your budget.

Project Blog it too!

Tom