Lee

Is eBay the new pricing benchmark?

15 posts / 1685 viewsLast Reply

If you read the classifieds, you would probably notice that I have asked for a pedal box to experiment with an MC bolted directly on it. I had three replies. Two guys offering them for respectively $50 and $60 and will buy two units, in rusfree condition. Then a third person that highlights that the current "eBay bearing price" is $160 and he will charge me only $120. To whom I politely replied that the market value I can judge is the offers I had for $50 and $60.

Then the guy starts insulting my intelligence telling me I have wasted his time.

Which instantaneously prompted two questions in my head.

Is 2002faq now trolled by eBay merchants in search of innocent victims?

And do you guys really use eBay now to set price standards on your used 2002 parts? As far as I remember we have seen suckers buy $2 parts for $200 on eBay...

Lee

Yes and No. It depends what part it is, condition and it's availability. I remember control knobs w/o switches going for 80 dollars and change on e-bay. Anyone can "try" to sell their stuff based on whatever. The question is, will they get it. Politely wish that seller good luck and move on. Good job on your research.

Guest Anonymous

I have sold a number of things on ebay, however most of what I have sold has been to private parties. The majority of what I had was pretty rare one-off stuff which makes pricing difficult. I had my Schnitzer 20-4 head on Ebay for a short while, a friend in Europe saw it and contacted me regarding the sale of it. He offered less than what I wanted. I told him the number was the number basically and that I didn't need to sell it to pay for other things and or my mortgage. He considered what I said and wired me the $$$ of my asking price. I wasn't being a Di_ck, I just had a price in my head and that is what I wanted. I probably could have got more from it by leaving it on Ebay (I pulled the listing when the deal was struck), in the end I was satisfied (although now I wish I hadn't sold it-too bad for me). Now to the other end of the spectrum, I bought two doors and a steering column and two hood hinges from double 02 salvage as I recall for $475. One door had the glass and what not in it the other was just a shell - both in pretty good shape. I forgot I needed a pair of hinges for one of the doors so I went back......$20 - I looked at the guy like "are you kidding"? ......er he wasn't. So I layed out $20 + tax and took my hinges - I needed them and didn't have time to fool around. With regards to selling parts some people are pretty arrogant - something is worth what someone is willing to pay on a given day and time - no more, no less.

Hi Mark

Can you forward me a link to a picture of your Alpina pedal box with directly mounted MC? I am trying to see what Alpina did for the gaz pedal. I am tempted to put the cable mechanism within the pedal box. Not on the right, on the exterior.

Lee

Guest Anonymous

(nt)

I have a pedal box you can have if you still need it, grime and all.

better luck with email dereknu at hotmail dot com

I will continue to take eBay with a boulder-size grain of salt, as both a buyer and seller. All it takes is one crazy/uneducated/desperate buyer as a 'fool factor' to skew reality. Just because someone pays $340.00 plus shipping for a slatless right grill (that you can get new from Max for around $313.00), doesn't mean it's worth $340.00. It simply means someone paid $340.00. Pricing on both ends is about availability, condition and average perceived values, not a single extreme case or situation...

post-1249-13667591814268_thumb.jpg

Lee, I hate ebay, it is full of crooks. I never received the European Magazine issue that I won, I email back and forth for six months and the seller always came up with an excuse, until he never return my emails or my check! It was about $20 bucks, and not worth pursuing it, but still...

I would like to get the banner one of these days, so I will keep looking...

I think that 50-60 for a non refurbed pedal bucket is about the right price from what I've seen. Using ebay as your only guide isn't accurate in my opinion. It only takes one...

I find a good estimate for a used part is about 1/4 of the new retail price. That doesn't hold for everything, but it gives you a good start. Rare, exceptional condition, tii parts, ect will get more.

My thought on selling of the faq is that I try to give someone a better price than they would get on ebay. This site is a place to help a brother (or sister) out. If you want the ebay price... put the part on ebay.

Anyway, that guy was really wasting your time, not the other was around. It always amazes me all the people who get offended when they find out their car/parts/ect aren't worth near as much as they think. Business is business. Leave your emotions out of it.

anyway you could post that pic of the ALPINA pedal box? I have been contemplating doing the same thing, as others here have.

Thanks

Looks like a well-rounded set of responses here, Lee. =)

ebay=auction site

2002faq=enthusiast community to help each others

it happened to me 2 or 3 times that a guy suggested me a price based on the e-bay pricing. Ignore those guys, period. They are not looking to help you but to make profit out of things that worth close to nothing in reality.

I buy from multiple sources, Ebay, on line sellers, FAQers, BMW dealer, whatever. The point is to find what you want and pay what you feel is fair. If you need a part quick then you pay a premium. If you look for deals and don't pay more than your limit then ebay is great. I have never had a bad experience on ebay. In addition every transaction with an FAQer has been smooth as well. My 02 cents.

PS E bay is used by pawn brokers world wide to check values.

Ebay is full of horsesh*t.

Sometimes there are parts that are worth it,

but usually, you're bidding against someone in east bumf**k

who has no other way to get parts.

Be nice to the poor sod, and get your parts here. I lived there, and

trust me, it's no fun.

This is much better.

t