pics from this morning.

12 posts / 2071 viewsLast Reply

I had dad's 02 out for a drive this morning on the anniversary of his passing, some good pics at a cherry orchard for you. only managed to pick 15 pounds as the Amish had been there already.

now the problem, I already have two 02's. how do I rationalize another? this one is weird to drive, i feel my dad is with me and missing at the same time.

post-363-13667591809608_thumb.jpg

post-363-13667591810842_thumb.jpg

It's really neat ritual that you keep taking the 02 out on such day. I hope you benefit from it in more than one way.

Nice post. If I was as fortunate as you, I wouldn't hesitate to keep your Dad's 02 and part with one of the others.

I think thats awesome. i would hang onto that car. my dad played a large part in my M2 build but passed away before ever seeing it done. this may sound weird but the first day i drove it home from the exhaust shop and it was legal

i took it directly to the graveyard to show it to him. i roll with a pic of him on my dashboard.

This is one of those rare threads that goes way past nuts and bolts. Most of us are either sentimental, or we're not. You have your memories, photos, and I'm sure various heirlooms and momentos. It is just a car. A very special car, that I would personally probably keep. Or sell to someone who I would trust to love and respect the car, because its not just a car. Its sort of family. I'm sure that we all have sold cars to folks that we hoped to never see again. And others, that, we wanted to make sure that they went to a very good home...

When my dad died about ten years ago, my nephews (his grandkids), were of two schools; the ones that fought over dad's favorite golf clubs, sport coats, and hats; and the ones that only cared if he left them any money. I was just happy that I got old enough for him to be my friend. As Mark Twain said of his dad, " I left home when I was 17, and returned when I was 21. It's amazing what he learned in those four short years." Or something like that.

I'm sure that your dad would say, its just a car, son. Do with it what you will. No one can damage, or take away your memories. If that includes keeping the car, thats great. If it is to keep the memories and the great pictures, there's not a thing wrong with that, either.

I miss my father. He told me in 1973 that could have braces on my teeth, or a car.... I also miss that old '69 2002. It was almost as dependable as my dad. And he loved bing cherries...Carry on.

Dave V. in western NC

I remember my Father in law always encouraging me and telling me how proud he was for taking on such a project. He would hang out with me in the garage and we would have a few cold ones while I worked on the interior of the Tii. He died shortly form cancer and never saw it finished. I miss that guy. He was 83.

Nate, IMHO, I think you should keep this one.

I know your other cars have sentimental history with you as well, but a few years down the road, when you pass it on to your own son :), you'll be glad you did.

You can't put a price on provenance.

taught me how to repair (which was often) and made me into a car guy (much to his daughter's chagrin).

When I'm working on a car and hit a problem, I'll think, what would Ed do here...and usually figure it out. He passed away 41 years ago, two years after Carol and I were married....and I still miss him.

Thanks for nice posts, everyone...helps bring back pleasant memories

mike

now the problem, I already have two 02's. how do I rationalize another?

Hard to rationalize something like this, I can only tell you what I would do, I would either keep it or sell it to a real aficionado nearby, so I could smile every time I see it on the road or during annual shows. The memories are forever, cars have a soul of their own and are best being driven. This is probably one of the nicest stories on this board...

Thank you for sharing, Nate.

wonderful to hear y'all talking Dads.

Dad & I mostly worked on carpentry projects, though he knew mechanics well.

He's been gone such a short time, - but it can feel like fathoms. all fall & no catch.

bought the car to fix-up at mom & dad's. to be with her & feel Dad around. I ain't got no direction. ain't got no helping hand. ain't got no discussion.

yeah. "what have I got, nobody can take away?

I got my hair, I got my head

I got my brains, I got my ears

I got my eyes, I got my nose

I got my mouth, I got my smile"

I got my Dad

I got my Nina Simone

I got my Johnny Cash

&

I got my motoring soul

I got to make life full

I gots to share

Thanks for sharing..

While I'm the "wrenching sort", my dad has a workshop full of woodworking tools and can make almost anything (beds, tables, chairs, dressers, etc). The older we both get, the worse I feel about not taking up his lifetime hobby. He helped me work on my first car (rusty 66 VW Beetle) and continues to support my 02 habit.

Enjoy and relish any time spent with your parents and siblings.