Sign in to follow this  
BLUNT

chasing a leak

4 posts / 880 viewsLast Reply

ive got a C/R 5 speed from a 323 behind my s14. yesterday i realized its pushing some darkish oil from the breather atop to bell housing. im running clean fresh redline MTL in it so i cannot figure out what this could be. its running down the bell housing and dripping on the garage mahals floor. anyone ever experience this? to the best of my knowledge i didnt over fill it.

IF INDEED THE OIL IS COMING OUT OF THE VENT

on top of the gearbox - it must be over filled - or the car sat

in deep water and G-Box filled up with water when you weren't looking.

Drain the box and refill JUST TO THE SIDE FILLER HOLE

along the same logic - might be prudent to drain the diff and check that also, and look into the steering gearbox for desert.

NOW, on the other hand - degrease the gearbox till dry, and runn

hard and recheck the oil trail. If it's dripping out of the clutch bell housing,

your looking at a trans removal to replace the input shaft seal, or clutch

throw-out cover gasket - OR the oil is coming out of the motor and running into the bell housing, out the bottom

happy hunting

i will drain and refill just to be safe. but this is on my recently completed resto so i pretty certain of its condition. all seals were replaced prior to installation and i pulled the flywheel inspection cover and its nice and dry up in there so that was good news. thanks cd

I'm not sure what colour MTL is but how good was the old oil flushed out of the GB? Any dregs would turn clean oil dirty pretty quick.

If your sure its GB fluid, pull the filler plug and check colour, constancy with that of your leak.

Also is the MTL cleaning the crud out of the breather so it can actually breath now? And will now no longer leak?

Just some thoughts.

Beaner7102