Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

5 speed shifter measurements. how much to shorten?

4 posts / 1263 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

tried lookin back some but couldnt find them. looking for end to end measurements of platform, selector rod, and lower "L' supporting bar. if anyone has this info handy i would very much like to know. i will also try to add it in the five speed faqs section. thanks.

http://www.bimmers.com/02/upgrades/transmission.html

If you are installing an overdrive transmission, then you will need to shorten your old pieces by 3.5625 inches. To do so is simply a matter of cutting the old platform at the box section portion, and remove a piece that will cause the platform to be 3.5625 inches shorter when welded back together. Don't forget to account for the width of the saw blade! BTW, the factory pieces are modified exactly this way -- they are cut and welded. The shift platform brace also needs to be shortened. The appropriate length for the brace, for the OD installation is 210mm as measured from the center of the bushing hole to the platform hole.
The same process applies for the shift linkage. It is recommended that the later (post-3/74) style linkage be used, as it is easier to cut and weld, as well as easier to service. The shift rod needs to be cut and shortened by the appropriate amount. The 320i shift rod can be used, but instead of shortening it by 3.5625 (or 3.125) inches, shorten it such that the final length of the rod is 74mm measured from the center of the connecting pin to the center of the other pin.

if it were my car id assemble it and measure. every car seems to vary. diff placement as well as engine placement can equal 1/4 to 1/2 inch. you dont want stress on your guibo at all