mikekoch

M20 converts: how did you mount your alternator?

5 posts / 2471 viewsLast Reply

I finally got around to attaching the alternator bracket on my M20 and it was immediately clear that the alternator won't fit in the stock location. Searching the archives I can see what m20ohtwo did, mounting the upper bracket on the bolt that is the pivot for the belt tensioner and mount point for the timing covers. I'll probably end up doing that as I seem to be low on bright ideas lately, but I'm curious how others have solved the problem. Pics please.

Thanks!

Mike

Hey Mike, what doesn't fit? I am pretty sure mine is using all stock brackets...

Matt

Hi Matt,

The exhaust is supposed to arrive today, can't wait to get it.

The issue, I think, is that I've never owned an E30 325i and don't know anyone off-hand who has one for me to look at. It's like putting together a puzzle that has no picture on the front of the box. This engine came to me with some of the running gear slightly disassembled (alternator and ps pump removed). I really just need a good picture of how it's supposed to mount from the factory, but it doesn't seem like anyone takes pictures of their alternator.

This is sort of an embarrassingly simple question but I'd rather not waste time digging around in my parts if I can get a picture of what I'm looking for!

Thanks

Mike

Found a couple of pictures in the projects section that confirm the mounting location of the upper bracket:

p1010070reducedmm5.jpg

bmw200002.jpg

Doesn't seem like a good place to me, but I'm not a BMW engineer I suppose.

Question answered

Mike

Mike -

I've got my engine in the car with the alternator attached. No issue even with the 3" Cone Filter attached to the AFM. Attached are a couple pics that I have on my blog... if you need more I can take some tonight after I get home.

- Chris

Hard to see in this one with all the hoses attached:

m20_transmounted%20(Small).jpg

Here is a good picture of the bracket from when I replaced the pump and timing belt (you can just make out the alt to the right of the pic):

waterpump%20(Small).jpg