O=00=O

catylic converter

7 posts / 1374 viewsLast Reply

would taking out my cat. lower my cylinder temp by giving better asperation? i failed smog but only the NO(PPM%) the actual emmisions were burning rediculously clean so im willing to compromise if it would help.

If you have a catalytic converter, a previous owner added it. I don't think any 2002s had cats from the factory.

Smog stuff. Ugh. I'm trying to figure out how to piece together my long-ago-removed tangle of air pump hoses and gulp valve to make my car look appropriate for state inspection here in Pennsylvania. We have no tailpipe check in my county, just a visual check. So the car could be blowing out black clouds and nobody cares, as long as the air pump is there. And even in California, my '71 would be exempt from even the visual check. Of all the pointless legislation...

-Dave

2002's never had a 'cat'

but removing the thermo-air injected-exhaust manifold

would reduce under hood operating temp's greatly.

is there a cat installed in the exhaust pipe.Cats need fresh air supply from the air pump to work properly.

To pass the NOX test without the EGR valve working will be difficult.

yes the PO put a cat in. does it affect the NOX is all i need to know, thanks in advance

modell 71 smog piping--at least enough to "convince" your smog nazis... remind me on thursday...

No 25 year exemption in PA?

mike