daniswaytough

02 carpet questions

8 posts / 1488 viewsLast Reply

Hi everybody i've got a few questions about carpet. I've been looking at only02's carpet kits.

I've got a 72 02 with black door panels and black seats, which would be the correct color choice for my replacement carpet? Black or grey? And any opinions on which would look better.

Another question.

When installing new carpet, is it required to use the carpet padding roll? And if i do have to use it how do i lay it on the floor. Only02 says their carpet comes with a fastener kit of some sort? How is the carpet fastened down?

I appreciate all the help. My car is completely stripped right now, but i'll get some pictures to all you cats when she's back together!

dan

you should be able to get a good match to it. I'd use padding underneath the floor pieces, and up the toeboards (slanted sections that connect with the firewall under the dash.) Just like in your home, it'll make the carpet wear longer, and will provide sound deadening

If you can make the carpet fit correctly, I'd use it over the tunnel too.

Carpets are mostly glued, except for some snaps in the rear seat floor area to keep those pieces from sliding around. There's also a tiny screw in the lower trailing corner of the cowl carpet piece, just ahead of the door opening. If you look carefully at the naked floor and cowl areas, you'll see the original screw holes.

mike

I like the black on black look preferably. I did put the jute (carpet padding) under mine for sound deadening and better wear on the carpet.

post-224-13667591758203_thumb.jpg

post-224-13667591759172_thumb.jpg

thanks for the information guys.

so would i glue the padding down first, and then lay the carpet over it?

sorry, i am a complete amateur in regards to interior work!

if the carpet kit you buy doesn't come with attached padding, it'll be easier and better fitting to trace the padding pieces from the carpet piece your padding then cut the padding in from the edge about an inch....then just spray adhesive in the padding and the floor, let it tack then lay the pieces in place

glue the padding to the carpet the same way...glue both pieces allow them to tack then press them together

How much cutting of the fiber glass on the rear seats did you do? I have a set to fit, could use some guidance.

Thank God. When I first saw the post-up, just for a moment, I thought a kitten might die.

Save the kittens.