djm1968

Body work question - flash rust prevention

6 posts / 1377 viewsLast Reply

Time has (nearly) come to dig into the body work on my 02. Most of the areas that need attention are rather small, and spread around different areas on the car. My approach is to remove paint/filler and see what needs to be done to make an appropriate repair -- I'd like to assess the entire car before starting the work. Since this will take sometime to address all the little areas, what should I do to the exposed metal to prevent flash rust from forming? I saw this primer on easwoods site -- should I use something like this?

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1116&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C607%2C1549&KickerID=413&KICKER

Thanks,

DJM

Guest Anonymous

Self etch primer is not water barrier like epoxy is. It would be suitable for areas not exposed to the elements to avoid rusting from humidity. This sounds like what you want to do as long as you are not leaving it out in the rain.

Self etch primer is not water barrier like epoxy is. It would be suitable for areas not exposed to the elements to avoid rusting from humidity. This sounds like what you want to do as long as you are not leaving it out in the rain.

The car will be in the garage the entire time -- I am just looking for short-term prevention (1 month or so) so that I can find and evaluate all the trouble spots before digging into the work.

Thanks,

DJM

Guest Anonymous

I suggest you use a phosphoric acid based rust converter

both Eastwood and POR sell very good ones - much better (in my opinion) than naval Jelly

then prime and prep

home depo sell phosphoric acid like clyde is talking about under the name of Rust-no-More...comes in a spray bottle and costs about $6.00 for a quart +or-...i've used it extensively to keep the flash corralled

home depo sell phosphoric acid like clyde is talking about under the name of Rust-no-More...comes in a spray bottle and costs about $6.00 for a quart +or-...i've used it extensively to keep the flash corralled

Great info guys -- thanks! I will be at home depot today to pick up some new jack stand and a shop vac...will look for the rust no more as well.

Cheers,

DJM