johnhup

Plug gap for EDIS ignition

9 posts / 2295 viewsLast Reply

What plug gap are you guys running for your EDIS ignition systems? I just realized I never switched mine after going to EDIS over a year ago!

I'm running a .045 gap and it's working out really well. May jump to .050 once I get the MSD coil on just to see what it does.

Wow. I thought I would have heard .40 or so. I cant wait to try it tonight. To be honest, I am still running .32 or so since my crane and weber 38. I got kinda lazy once I started to working on the S14 :(.

Thanks for the input.

Rather than just copy what the next guy does (with or without any real basis) go to EFI101 and search on John the J&S Electronic man (who produces a knock sensor system that adjusts spark advance on indivitual cylinders) for coils and plug gap. Lance the original designeer of ignition systems for Electromotive will also show up in the search.

Rather than just copy what the next guy does (with or without any real basis) go to EFI101 and search on John the J&S Electronic man (who produces a knock sensor system that adjusts spark advance on indivitual cylinders) for coils and plug gap. Lance the original designeer of ignition systems for Electromotive will also show up in the search.

Tough day Jim? Just trying to get a baseline, and yes, I did look other places well. I just put in new NGK's at .45 and the car feels great, doesnt miss, and idles just fine.

Just trying to lend a bit of intellegence to the topic.

Seems that not any more gap than .030" is necessary. The wider is better theory has no merit. Wider gaps induce spark jump to ground at the wire boots and such because the resistance within the cylinder plus gap is too great. Wider gaps came on the scene with capacitive discharge systems and are passe now. Modern ignition system design clamps the power dissipation from the coil as the spark occurs to conserve energy within the coil and reduce the recharge time. This yields ability to run at higher rpm w/o ignition misfire. Highly boosted engines where the fuel charge density is high keep gaps around the .030" mark. See discussions on inductive ignition systems on EFI101 from authoritative persons.

I changed the gap to .045 when I installed the MSD, ran with no problems. Then I removed the MSD a year ago and left the same gap, no difference. In fact for some reason, unknown to me the car feels very strong these days. I don't think it makes that much difference, won't hurt it either... experiment, as every car and engine is unique, there is no set gap that works for every car.