SteveJ

A (Mother)Lode of fun

10 posts / 1838 viewsLast Reply

Did a little drive in the hills with a few friends this past weekend.

Little drive = 450 miles with a "commute" of 110 miles more on each end.

Hills = 5 mountain passes in the high Sierra. 8400ft, 9600ft, etc...

Some of the usual suspects- Norm, and "just a warning this time" Davin.

IMG_3661.jpg

IMG_3592.jpg

Hats off to Josh Prentiss (white TR6) for taking us on some of the most amazing roads I've ever driven. Instructor Bill was a great copilot, and he'll probably have a car capable of spanking mine by the next rally. I'll be countin' the minutes.

Tons of pics here:

man, looks like I missed yet another one...

The mini is almost done!! Can't wait to hit up the rally scene!!

Beautiful. Where was that? In the Tahoe area? Do you have a route map?

the sky looks so blue! Not fair, they burn and we get all the smoke! Did you take your new Mini or the road warrior?

Yeah, It was the first time we got to see blue sky and not smoke. I guess you have to be above the 6000 ft elevation.

Took the tii. My wife and I have named him Sherman. Not because "he has everything" (like our FAQ Sherman), but because the car is like a tank. Dirt roads, rough roads, potholes, hit a softball sized rock with the front subframe, the Avalanche, the PO's rear-ender, etc... The car just keeps rollin on.

As for the route, if you want a real cross-section of California, get on Highway 4 in Hercules. As you climb up out of the Bay Area, you can see the bay (and maybe the ocean) after going through the hills and the delta, you cross the central valley and then climb into the Sierra. 6 lanes wide at one end, one lane wide at the other.

For a nice day loop, try 108 east from Modesto and into the hills. Turn North on 395, then West on 89. Lunch stop at Markleeville or a picnic at Grover hot springs (reminds me of Yellowstone). Then head West on Highway 4 all the way home.

No fears, though. That whole route is paved. Now...if ya want some dirt roads...

Not a club.

I think most of us subscribe to that notion of "I wouldn't be a member of any club that would have someone like me as a member."

Mostly friends of friends, so everybody comes with some sort of a reputation. Our ~somewhat~ sucessful attempt at keeping the group half-way sane on the road and trying to exclude the overly aggresive/crazy drivers.

Most of us know other people with old cars of other makes. All it takes is putting together a vintage car drive and inviting as many different cars as possible. The beautiful thing is your car doesn't have to be a 100 pointer as there won't be that many of your type of car there to compare against.

Very refreshing to see these old cars out being exercised and not locked away in some garage with a cover over them.