slimcat7m3

project 2020 shooting for 400rwhp

30 posts / 7846 viewsLast Reply

Here are some pics of my new project. Please be patient I am moving along very slow. The list of things done so far isn't very long but here they are:

Ireland stage 2 springs (soon to have sport struts)

15 X 8 wheels 0 offset

205/50/15 rubber on corners

Right now I am working on getting the sr20det to fit. I have almost finished the front crossmember and am working on the trans crossmember. Things are moving along pretting slow but I do know that I have to run a topmount turbo probably a gt30r, and a wilwood pedal assembly. I will update this post with many more pictures and info soon

post-6055-1366759174155_thumb.jpg

post-6055-13667591742552_thumb.jpg

post-6055-13667591743503_thumb.jpg

post-6055-13667591744536_thumb.jpg

Holy moly you'll have alot of power. Should be gobs of fun though!

What diff are you going to use?

Are those the Sportmax wheels?

Any more pics of how they fit and whether they'll rub? It looks like the front arches needed a fair amount of work...

Thanks!

They are the sportmax wheels. You need to run a hubcentric spacer to make them fit properly. They will definitely hit the firewall and very little in the front where the fender meets the lower valence.

post-6055-13667591786695_thumb.jpg

post-6055-13667591787774_thumb.jpg

post-6055-13667591788841_thumb.jpg

post-6055-13667591789839_thumb.jpg

post-6055-13667591790973_thumb.jpg

How did you get the exact measurements on how much to cut off the metal?

I didn't use any exact measurement. I knew I wanted at least an inch or inch and a half behind the wheel. As you can see in the picture from tire to firewall there was no clearance, but it just started to rub at full lock. I drew a line free hand right where the tire would rub and then drew the rest of the line so it looked appealing and somewhat stock. I cut it out and used the piece to mark the other side so it was the same. I have some metalfab experience, few chopped tops, working on a pretty custom 63 nova, 31 ford truck etc. Sometimes your eye is the best judge for how it should look when its finished

On the cut out for the wheel clearance, what did it look like under the piece you cut out? Was there mutiple panels that came together? I really wanted to clearance my car there but was afraid I'd be weekening the unibody?

sorry for the slow response. There is only the quarter panel and the outer wheel house. I cut the quarter panel out where I needed to, then pie cut the wheel house so it would roll out and meet up with the quarter panel. I then welded the whole thing back up. I don't think there is any significant loss of structure if any when done properly. I will try and post more pictures of those steps.

I know this project is moving terribly slow but I have made a few small changes. I bought a painless wiring harness I am going to splice in along with the existing wiring. I also has enough circuits left over to wire in the sr20det. I know its really dirty and wires are all over the place but I am just starting the wiring process.

post-6055-13667598602935_thumb.jpg

Sim02. I think i misread your post before. I set the flares on the car and mounted them where they fit. I traced the top of the flare onto the fenders, and ran a piece of 1" tape along the line. The one inch is just about perfect for the lip of the flare. How is that for a fast response. Only took months. this works perfect for the fenders the quarters are more complicated.

Great project, Slimcat! What are you using for the brake set-up on your 2002? I had a daydream of dropping in a KA24DE (Yeah, I know. Truck engine. But I love it!) in my 2002. Thanks. Good luck with your 2002.

David

I am going with the wilwood brake and clutch set up. Hanging pedals with the reservoirs facing the driver so everything us under the dash. The brake has two masters(front and rear) so you can dial the brakes in perfect. This swap is a pain in the butt, I have to redo everything. I know the engines are great, just did a ka swap in my friends 510. The major problem with the sr20 and ka is the exhaust and intakes are on the wrong side compared to the bmw engines. I have to change everything. If money were no issue I would go with the honda s2000 engine.

I am looking to buy the regular turbo airdam. Where would I find one, and whats the price? I'm located in Iowa 52240 for shipping, Let me know if you have any info.

Thanks

Jeremy