citizenchan

Turbo guys any experience w variable geometry/nozzle turbo?

2 posts / 627 viewsLast Reply

Just curious to know everyone's thoughts. I like my 1.8L just cuz it's not what everyone else does, and I know i'll want more power out of it eventually - turbo is another thing people don't do very often to the 318i for good reason, but I don't need good reasons to do much of anything.

What are your thoughts on the variable gate turbos like those on some euro Peugots and the '07 Porsche 911 Turbo? How is the life-span on them if you have that much experience?

Guest Anonymous

unless your an electronics wiz and have bank... then forget most turbos..

Most use an ECU solenoid to control them via a pulse width modulation system..

The one that might work is the Shelby CSX-VNT. They made 15lbs of boost at 2100RPM on a 2.2L all the way to reline.. They only made 500 VNT's though and garret only made 1200 turbos. I think they have like 4 left. Hence why I cherish my New in box one I got off ebay.. It would probably be more "cost efficent" to acquire a s15 nissan sr20 turbo as they flow 300hp and are ball bearing. Cheapest quickest spool around for a 2L.