• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

drove it- Thanks to forum

A BIG THANKS to those of you who helped with answering the multiple wiring, starting, and general questions for the past few months. I drove my car successfully to the office and back- about a 100 mile round trip. No issues! No charging problems, no fuel smell, car still turns over and...shuts off when I want it to. It was a blast to go rolling down the interstate at 70MPH, with the occasional dive off the ramp to hit some back-road twisties on the way home. It was a blast and I have this forum and the great support from its members to thank! Anytime any of you are running through White House, TN- shoot me an email...there is a beer waiting for ya!

which one? HAHA!

Problem: many electrical issues- Fix: replaced entire wiring harness, removed stereo wiring and removed aftermarket gauge wiring

Problem: Not Charging- Fix: removed voltage regulator wiring between voltage regulator and altenator and replaced with custom harness. Then replaced the stock altenator with higher amp altenator to drive aftermarket gauges and radio. (New altenator internally regulated as well)

Problem: Car starts fine, but won't shut off- Fix: Wired in diode N1004 in series to altenator's D+ wire.

Problem: Fuel Smell in cabin- Fix: New Sending Unit seal, gas tank was closed system allowing to much pressure to build in tank. Moved the vapor line to vent outside the car.

I think that was it for this go around...who knows what tomorrow will bring!

Congrats!

Reading stuff like this really gives me hope for being in the same place sometime soon!

(By the way - the car looks awesome!)

'74 Sahara 2002, sunroof/4-spd. (Bought from original owner in 1990)

'66 Mustang Coupe

'70 Mustang Grabber 302

'66 Thunderbird 428 Town Hardtop

Yeah- it is a labor of love thing. There will always be something to tinker on (read as- break and fix). I have to remind myself it is a 30+ year old car and will have it's hiccups, but getting it to this point is a major accomplishment for me. The car has taught me a lot- and I'm sure it isn't done. :)