Guest Anonymous

how is gas pedal connected to floorboard?

8 posts / 1550 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

I've got a 73 2002 automatic and I can't figure out how the pedal connects to the floorboard--if it does. There's a loose spring in the floorboard that I assume connects somehow to the pedal. And the pedal itself attaches to and pushes against a lever to accelerate. But it must also connect (via the spring?) to the floorboard. I've searched the forums here but I'm still not sure. Are there parts I'm missing? How does the spring attach to the floorboard and to the pedal (if it does)? Where can I get parts? Thanks.

there are 2 stubs with round heads...the pedal has 2 corresponding holes that the ball on the stub ends snaps into...pull it straight up...there's no spring

The bottom of the gas pedal has two indents in it, that attach snugly onto two small ball-ended posts sticking up from the floorboard. The cage attached to the back of the pedal encompasses a bent bar/rod that slides within the cage as you depress the pedal and that passes out of the footwell towards the transmission tunnel, that attaches to a splined lever arm that drives your accelerator linkage.

There's no OEM springs attaching the gas pedal in the footwell I'm aware of. Maybe a kludge-fix from a PO?

HTH,

Tom

You may have the same problem I've been having. There are two small sockets (lack of a more descriptive word) on the lower base of the pedal that snap onto two protruding nubs on the floor. The lower right side of my pedal keeps coming off the right side nub causing the pedal to sit sideways and partially off the linkage. Not sure what thye fix is but possibly a new gas pedal. There is a plastic bushing which mounts on the linkage behind the pedal. You may want to check that as well. Hope this proves helpful.

Guest Anonymous

After checking the manual, I realize that there is no connection with the floorboard other than the knobs at the bottom of the pedal. Those are fine. But what I'm missing is the kickdown stop for the pedal. There's a receptacle with a loose spring in it that's at the height of the top of the pedal on the floorboard wall behind the pedal. That's what I was confused by. Does anyone know where I can get the kickdown stop?

breakdown of the part that's apparently missing on your automatic' accelerator pedal. That will tell you

1. If you're actually missing parts, and

2. what they are so you can either try ordering 'em new from BLUNT (posts on this board) or trying to find 'em used.

You may discover you have all the pieces but they've just dismantled themselves over the years. You may also discover that the stop can be duplicated with a piece of wood glued to the floorboard.

cheers

mike

Guest Anonymous

I dont even have a gas pedal. I just have the rod i guess it ataches to. Is this a pricy fix?

See the attached image of the metal nubs that secure the gas pedal to the floor. Note: I was stripping the paint from the floor of the car when I took this photo, so your level of sticky debris surrounding your pedals and nubs may vary.

post-16735-13667606658345_thumb.jpg