MysteryMachine

Fuel pump loose? (new guy question)

5 posts / 874 viewsLast Reply

I took the hoses off both sides of the pump and now the top rotates easily. Is it supposed to be movable or should that bolt in the middle be tightened?

post-13460-13667591709193_thumb.jpg

post-13460-13667591710923_thumb.jpg

Wink, wink... It's just not one of the normal brands of fuel pump...

You figured right, and a second opinion is great sometimes.... ain't it?

Install the hoses and find the position where there is the least tension on the inlet hose there and tighten the bolt so that it doesn't rotate...

HTH

Thanks for taking it easy on me and thanks for giving me a straight answer.

I got alot more where that question came from....I'm just trying to get her started again and noticed the sediment in the fuel filter...red and brown and silver flecks. So I'm changing the old fuel line from the tank to the carb.

Mike

inside the car--the translucent stuff--should not be replaced with rubber or ordinary plastic fuel line. It's "special stuff"--designed to collapse and seal itself if heated (as in a fire). That's why it can run thru the pax compartment--and just above your passenger's feet.

The crud in your fuel system isn't coming from the fuel line; most likely from the fuel tank. I'd try changing the fuel filter first. If you use a transparent or translucent one, you can see how quickly it cruds up. If it does so in a few thousand miles, I'd then pull the gas tank and throroughly clean it out. Otherwise, a small amount of crud in a 32 year old fuel system isn't abnormal--so long as it doesn't clog your filter every few thousand miles.

cheers

mike

...cool, Mike. Thanks for the info. As a new owner, I need the basics. I'll make sure I get the hose with the special design. And I may flush the tank anyway just to be sure the main vein will be free of debris.