Sarki

BavAuto Last call-Bilsteins

14 posts / 1855 viewsLast Reply

Last day for Bavarian Autosport sale on Bilsteins. I'm planning on ordering but keep going back & forth between Sport and HD's. Way too much body lean on my 74Tii. Was planning on upgrading the springs and shocks and then moving on to the sway bars if more improvement is still needed. Read lots & lots of prior posts on this subject.

Just looking for some last minute push in the right direction. Originally thought Bilstein HD's w/H&R or Eibach springs. Anyone want to throw in their 2 cts for me. Thanks!

are you driving a sports car or a heavy duty car?

I have Bilstein HDs all around with my Ireland Stage 1 Springs and stock rubber bushings. I could use some sway bars now, but the ride is stiff, but not uncomfortable. I'd recommend the HDs unless you're track racing your car.

I've got the HD's with poly, srings and sway bars. Solid, great ride and feel.

I've got HD's, IE stage one springs as well as IE sway bars and bushings. My 73 is pretty stiff and corners like a snake in a gopher hole.

Here in Denver our roads are a mess and I can't really imagine driving around town on anything stiffer.

So, like others, I'd sugget HD's unless you plan on a lot of track time.

Looks like the FAQ crowd says go with the HD's. I'll be ordering them online as their office hours are closed. I've got 15" Rota RB's with 195/50's, any suggestions for springs that will drop the ride a bit, tighten it up and not cause a tire clearance problem? I'm thinking IE Stage 1, Eibach or HR.

One more thing, BavAuto site shows a rear upper shock mount for $35. Is that something I would need to install the rear Bilsteins?

"Why Johnny Ringo, looks like somebody just walked ova your grave" -Tombstone-Val Kilmer

Cool quote! I have just about every line in that movie memorized by now! :-)

"There's no normal life, Wyatt...there's just life" - Doc Holiday

On the Bilstein subject, I went with Sports and H&R's on Hugo and it's a pretty stiff ride, but man does it corner like on a rail! I'd probably be hard pressed to give up the Sports! I would probably like the feel of the HD's if I ever change to those...but I really can't say anything bad about the Sports. It's a personal preference.

Good Luck,

John

Looks like the FAQ crowd says go with the HD's. I'll be ordering them online as their office hours are closed. I've got 15" Rota RB's with 195/50's, any suggestions for springs that will drop the ride a bit, tighten it up and not cause a tire clearance problem? I'm thinking IE Stage 1, Eibach or HR.

One more thing, BavAuto site shows a rear upper shock mount for $35. Is that something I would need to install the rear Bilsteins?

When I talked to Bav Auto and told them I wanted the Eibach lowereing springs, They said I would "need the sport shocks to go along with the springs, so there wouldn't be any problems." Ever heard this from anyone? Or, are you going to use the HD"S anyway? I'm ready to make the same move but with 185x60x14.

I just bought (2) rear HD shocks for my car (on sale). The box I opened first had what looks like the upper shock mount included. Might not hurt to ask when ordering.

I love the feel of my Ireland Stage 1 Springs.

As for the bushings, they should some with the shocks. Ask to be sure.

Also, check the condition of your upper strut bearings up front. If they haven't been replace in the last few years, you should probably change them while it's all out.

31331110195.jpg

Guest Anonymous

They're designed specifically for shorter travel due to shorter, heavier springs. At least that's what I was told when I got my H&R progressives and Bilstein Sports. It's a stiff ride, but like John says, it corners very nicely.

David Roach

"Molly" (Inka 1973 2002)

"Nick" (Schwartz 2004 330xi)

According to Bilstein, HD and sport shock now have the same rebound rates only the rod/piston is taller in HD. They just re-valved the sports for a smoother ride. Of course HDs have a more travel and feels more comfy if you use them with stock springs.

Thanks to all for their thoughts. In the end I went with the Bilstein HD's. I also ordered some new upper strut bearings, wheel bearing kits and inner/outer control arm bushings. I'll be ordering a set of IE Stage 1 springs and fixed camber plates in the near future. Once the bank account is replenished, or the wife is out of town, I'll order some nice sway bars but I'll be looking for advice on them as well. If anyone in the Metro NY area (New Rochelle, NY to be exact) knows of a good shop or is willing to help me with the install I'd love to attempt the install with some guidance from a more experienced 02er. Let me know and thanks again for all the help!

Thanks to all for their thoughts. In the end I went with the Bilstein HD's. I also ordered some new upper strut bearings, wheel bearing kits and inner/outer control arm bushings. I'll be ordering a set of IE Stage 1 springs and fixed camber plates in the near future. Once the bank account is replenished, or the wife is out of town, I'll order some nice sway bars but I'll be looking for advice on them as well. If anyone in the Metro NY area (New Rochelle, NY to be exact) knows of a good shop or is willing to help me with the install I'd love to attempt the install with some guidance from a more experienced 02er. Let me know and thanks again for all the help!