Sign in to follow this  
strorg

32/36 DGAV Questions

5 posts / 1223 viewsLast Reply

i've picked up bits and pieces using the search, but wanted to ask outright and get full clarity on a couple of questions. i picked up a used 32/36 from another board member (thanks barry) to replace my stock solex carb.

questions:

1)coolant connections - where do i get supply and return for coolant flow? opinions on modifying to manual choke?

2)there is one electric terminal - what is the purpose?

3)there are two vacuum(?) connections on rear of carb. how do i connect these.

anybody have a link to the manual for the 32/36?

thanks...tom

1)coolant connections - where do i get supply and return for coolant flow? opinions on modifying to manual choke?

You have an electric choke, so you'll have to plug the coolant nipples that were used by the water choke on your old Solex. Quick 'n dirty way--connect the two with a single hose. More elegant (and better): remove the nipples and replace with properly threaded bolts and copper crush washers. BTW, the electric chokes are pretty reliable; try it for awhile before you convert to a manual choke.

2)there is one electric terminal - what is the purpose? Electric choke connection (see above). If your car has it, there's an unused black wire ending in an insulated terminal near the carb (usually strapped to the brake booster vacuum hose). It's hot only when the ign is on, and is a perfect power source for your electric choke.

3)there are two vacuum(?) connections on rear of carb. how do i connect these. You only need one, and that's for the vacuum advance unit on your dizzy. Plug the other one to prevent a BIG vacuum leak.

cheers

mike

I tend to confuse the water and electric choke (DGVA/DGVE) nomenclatures.

My advice still holds on the electrical connection, though. If you have that stray black wire near the carb, it'll be perfect for the idle solenoid too--as you turn off the ignition, the solenoid closes, cutting off gas flow to the carb. If you don't have that wire, just run one from the + side of the coil. It'll do the same thing.

And you should be able to buy small diameter water hose in bulk if the old Solex hoses are too short to work with the Weber.

cheers

mike

man that helped me allot. Thanks!!!

great stuff there strorg in AL.

I love this place!!!