lach

Transmissio Drain and Fill plug...are they one in the same??

9 posts / 1466 viewsLast Reply

I am wanting to change my trans fluid, and when I get under the car I see the 17mm fill plug half way up the trans (looks like a tough one to get to!) but do not see a drain plug.

Do you use the same plug to drain and fill?

IF so, how do you get ALL of the old fluid out??

Thank you in advance!

lach

Thanks...I will look again for the drain plug.

Can you give me a general location?

lach

If you have an early car, the drain and/or fill may be a 17mm hex-head (normal) bolt. Sometime in production, they shifted to 17mm socket-head plugs. I think my original 4-speed (car mfg. 11/30/1970) had both as hex-head, but others have reported the socket-head on '02 4-speeds. It's possible the change happened with the switch from Porsche to Borg-Warner synchros at about the Modell-71 switch in the spring of 1971. My 1981 320i 5-speed has the socket-head plugs.

BTW, I remember the size as 17mm, but it may be a different size. Others can confirm.

-Dave

A word of caution...do not remove the drain plug until after you have made sure you can remove the fill plug.

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

This is a good point about making sure you can remove the fill plug. I found my big allen wrench would not quite turn the corner to get into the plug - it hit the transmission tunnel. Bang in the tunnel -- or - I cut off about a 2 inch piece off the long end of the allen and that peice would fit the fill plug and I could turn it with a 17 mm open end wrench. Could be a problem it you drain the oil and then need your ride to go get the needed tool.

Pete

68 1600

Harbor freight has an allen plug set for 3/8 socket drive, though it still wouldn't quite fit with ratchet, so I used a box end around the 17 mm allensocket and pulled for all I was worth. tight was reasonable but this was to the extreme I think.

Good idea, don't drain till filler is opened, I learned the wrong way but I think I learned.