• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LED tail lights

penth2o

Hi, As you all know the rear of our old cars are hard to see when braking. Some of the T34 guys are putting LED bulbs in to brighten their tail lights. I did a search on here and found alot about a third brake light but not the taillights themselves.

The link I listed after the photos sells both 6V & 12V LEDs.

Is there any reason why anybody has not done this to the 02 lights? They produce almost no heat.

Just asking before I embark on this.

nt

tail_light_02Large.jpg

tail_light_01Large.jpg

250689Large.jpg

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=OTHER

• Like 1

This really is the way to go, I will probably upgrade some time later this year, much brighter and will last alot longer than normal globes.

holy negative camber batman!!!

02 Golf Yellow cruising the border of NSW/VIC!

tii pistons, 293, double valve springs, 40mm DCOE's, sump baffle, sway bars, lowered, 5spd, big brakes, 3pc wheels, bucket seats. Approx 150+hp

I've done it on both brake and rear turn signal lights. The only downside is that you have to do a relay upgrade on the turn signals or you get the "hey - my blinker light in the dash is gone" problem (because they draw so low a current, the relay thinks the light has burned out). There's a how-to if you do a search.

One thing - I've read to buy red lights for the stop, and amber lights for the turn signals. Even though your lenses are colored, the colored LED's will help make it even brighter.

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Thanks guys, I'm not much on electronics but this is a quote from another member on another site. Is this an alternative to the relay you were talking about Ken.

"This system will work equally well for both 12V and 6V systems. You need to get LEDs that don't have the built-in current limiting resistor. Most LEDs available today don't have the resistors. In order for them to work, a discrete resistor needs to be added in series with the LED. All of these parts are readily available from Digi-Key, Allied Electronics, Mouser Electronics, or Newark Electronics. All of these vendors have on-line catalogs. Check the LED manufacturer's voltage and current rating. A typical LED has a forward voltage drop of around 2.4 volts, and a current rating of maybe 10 to 20 milliamperes. Let's assume that the LED ratings are 2.4 volts and 15 milliamperes. If your running on a 6 volt system, each LED will need a 240 ohm, 1/4 watt resistor in series with it. If you're running a 12 volt system, put three LEDs in series, and then add a 320 ohm, 1/4 watt resistor in series with them. You can add as many parallel strings of LEDs as you need to fill the tail light base."

I just tried those LEDs on my square tail 02. Installed and tried them out in the parking lot of Auto Zone. They did not work well. They where brighter, but the light was too focused. Instead of lighting up the whole red panel it came through as a bright red circle. So it made my brake lights even smaller. I returned right there and then.

It looks like they will work great for a round tail 02.

1975 2002A VIN 2380612

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/registry/ - Register your car!

The first thing I'm going to try is re-silvering the light bases along with new bulbs and lenses. If not that big of difference then I thought of trying the LEDs.

The LED in the picture below would be for the lens of a T 34 (background). Its round and concentrated in the center.

tail_light_02Large.jpg

nt

For the 74 Tii squarie I'm thinking: (more dispersed). They have 30 forward facing LEDs & 10 rear facing LEDs.

1156_spider2_r_wm1Large.jpg

nt

I searched the forums and alot of this topic is older. I'm wondering if the technology has improved.

Thanks for your input folks. I appreciate it.

I've been running LED lights (instead of incandescents) everywhere on my 02 for quite a few years now. Thought I'd posted on this several times. Much brighter, lower heat,lowered power requirements, faster response, and they last forever. Yep - get the multi-LED bulbs with side and rearward facing LEDs for broad/wide coverage (uses your reflectors). Also, I've never had to mod any relays, and don't have issues with warning lights.

Tom

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

I am interested in the dispersed kind. Do you have a part number or direct link.

Also, here is another webpage that carries LEDs. http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm

I bought the WLED-X6 (194) wedge base for my instrument panel. They worked well. Nice white light.

Now I need a small LED that will fit the automatic shifter display. Anyone know which one will fit?

1975 2002A VIN 2380612

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/registry/ - Register your car!