Sign in to follow this  
JerryC

Broken Regulator Wire - How to Fix?

6 posts / 943 viewsLast Reply

I have a '72tii with mostly original wiring. The battery has been moved to the trunk, but that doesn't affect my problem.

One of the three wires has broken at or pulled out of the connector to the alternator. There were no symptoms that anything was wrong, no dead battery, no charge light. I just happened to notice it when checking something else.

I checked Maximillian's website for a new cable, they don't sell no stinkin' cables that will help this. It doesn't appear that new cables are available.

Where can I purchase a new cable? Will standard crimp-on spade connectors work in place of the plastic connector at the alternator? What's the normal fix for this? I figure that if one's gone now, the other two aren't very far behind.

Others may also have them, but I got a new plug from La Jolla Independent (800/466-8184). You can then make up a new connector from the existing wires.

Bob Napier

yes, the standard crimp on connectors will work, use a good one, not a cheap one, if you cut/pull/wiggle out the bad connector & wire gently, you can push the replacement connector back in place. scrape the wire so the copper is shiny before you crimp or solder it. You can just pinch the other 2 with needle nose pliers to make them fit tighter if you want, instead of replacing all 3, it might make the plug still easy to fit.

Are these plugs are available new ?

I thought they were NLA, if they are new what's the part # ?

I think you're right - the original plugs are NLA. The replacement is not as nice as the original, but does work if you're careful inserting the wires.

The one I got came with the small connectors to slip into the plug.

Bob Napier

I think you're right - the original plugs are NLA. The replacement is not as nice as the original, but does work if you're careful inserting the wires.

The one I got came with the small connectors to slip into the plug.

Bob Napier

Heres what i did since the connectors are NLA and the crimp on connectors very hard to find.

purchased two relay pigtails from Napa, sorry no part number, but they are a standard 5 connection pigtail for a relay.

used a T-pin to push new wires out of pigtails, pushed old out of original harness, and inserted the new ones and did the same for the Voltage regulator seeing how it was in bad shape also. got some matching wire and connected accordingly all together basically making a new harness for the alt to VR, also had to add a tap for the wire to dash light. hope you can under stand that. if your set up is still stock this will do the trick.

i will attach some photos of the type of connectors used.

the crimps will come out of harness just takes some patience.

the wire is 14gauge.

post-211-13667591688189_thumb.jpg

post-211-13667591689297_thumb.jpg

post-211-13667591690176_thumb.jpg