Sign in to follow this  
Dugz02

HELP - removing front seats

5 posts / 1353 viewsLast Reply

I have done numerous searches of this forum using various words, and can't find a thread that describes the steps for removing a front seat. Most usually say something like "remove the seat rails"... which is like saying "if you want to replace the crankshaft, disassemble the engine."

Enough ranting. Here's my conundrum.

If I slide the seat all of the way back, I can remove the front bolts that attach the rails to the floor. However, I can't move the seat far enough forward to remove the rear bolts that attach the rails to the floor.

If I slide the seat all the way back, I can remove the rear bolts that attach the rails to the seat. However, I can't move the seat far enough forward to remove the front bolts that attach the rails to the seat.

I can not find any clips to remove or tabs to depress.

So what am I missing?

I just removed my seats for the 1st time as well. It took some figuring out, but you need to come up from the bottom and remove the bolts through the bracket that screw into the bottom of the seat itself. You'll have to slide forward and slide back, but the bolts into the seat will show themselves. Then you can remove the bolts into the floor of the car. I'd lube up the brackets with some moly grease before you put the seats back into the car.

I was replacing the OEM seats with E21 (320i) recaros. The width between the holes on the bracket is 17.5, but the holes on the bottom of the Recaros is 17.75, so I slotted out the bracket so the bolt would fit at 17.5. This way when you got to put the seat on the slider it will fit width wise. Just do some measurements. It will make sense albeit you are having to think about something that is upside down.

Guest Anonymous

I usually slide the seats all the way forward so I can remove the bolts that hold the seat rails at the back, then slide the seats to their rearmost position and remove the front seat rail bolts. A careful heave upward and outward, with a twist, and the seats are out. then it is easy to unbolt the rails from the seats.

access to the rear seat track bolts, you're not pushing hard enough. A little penetrating oil on the tracks might help (spread newspapers on the floor to prevent oil drips on the carpet). You may have to sit in the seat to get it moving those last couple of inches forward, but it will go.

Then you can unbolt all four seat track-to-floor mount bolts in relative comfort. Oh, while you're doing the rear bolts, tip the seatback forward to prevent the whole seat from wanting to tip backwards as you're unbolting.

mike

Sorry for the double post; when I submitted this, there was something wrong with the site. This thread never displayed, so I eventually started a second thread... when I was able to log into the forum, again.

I just realized that this thread existed because I was using the "my threads" link to look for something else.

With that said, thanks for the advice.