autobon7

How much is it worth. if anything?

6 posts / 1442 viewsLast Reply

I have a 1970 2002 auto trans, sunroof that has rust in the rear shock towers, driver side sill, passenger side frame rail, spare tire well, rear fender wells. Seats are a wash. It has had the trans rebuilt recently. Good glass all around. Needs front brakes. Engine runs but prolly needs carb rebuilt/tuned. Found a bunch of rust after I bought the car. Partly because I'm a noob with this car and partly because some rust was very nicely hidden. Just exploring options as I don't have stacks of money to throw at this thing. Thanks in advance.

sounds like your car is worth more as a parts car. after you've gone through the hassle of selling the more desireable items you'll be stuck with a rusting hulk. sounds like most of the sheetmetal will not be sellable.

if you are offered $200 for it consider yourself lucky and a fair bit wiser, hopefully.

make notes of where to look, next time. perhaps squirrel away the parts for your next project and then tell yourself you wanted to acquire a parts hoarde anyway.

If it's on the road right now-

DRIVE IT!

And only fix things that you have to.

Then when it breaks in two, or launches a spring into the trunk,

you'll have had some fun with it.

Rust belt car philosophy HAS to be different than west coast.

You just run it 'till it's done, and enjoy it while it does.

Toby

grew up in western NYS.

1. drive it when it's structurally unsafe--and it doesn't sound like it's to that point yet

2. Aren't too concerned about it looking pristeen

3. Bought it because you enjoy driving an '02

Go for it. And when it finally gets to the point of undriveabliliy, part it out. A recently rebuilt automatic will be worth something to someone on the board who wants to stick with the automatic, and there will be other useable parts to boot.

BTW, you'll find the automatic performs much better, especially on winding roads if you manually shift between 2nd and 3rd...

mike

Where are you located? I know someone who may be interested

I am about 45 min north of St Louis, MO, in the Jerseyville, IL area.