Majkelangelo

Clutch noise - any ideas?

5 posts / 1271 viewsLast Reply

So I have been waiting for this rain to stop, and it finally did, so I took the car for a drive. However, very quickly I realized strange noises coming from the clutch / transmission. Let me try to explain:

If I press the clutch in, there is a strange noise, almost like something is loose somewhere and it is rattling around ... when I let go of the clutch, the noise stops. When the car warmed up, the noise was not as bad, but you can still hear it. I can hear it only when releasing the clutch in first gear or reverse (probably due to road noise).

As I played around with the clutch action, I released the clutch haf way, and I could hear rythmic rubbing, almost like the clutch disc or pressure plate is bent ...

Any ideas? ... I tried to search the forums, but didn't find anything exact ...

Thanks in advance!

M

how old is the clutch?

how many past owners have USEed it ?

how many miles?

last time it was 'out'

time for it to come 'out' now

time to attend to other related repairs while your in there

In all honesty, I have no history of the clutch in this car. I bought the car back in April from a guy who had restored it prior to me buying it, but he did not mention anything about the clutch. Perhaps he re-used the original.

Generally speaking, how difficult is a clutch job on a 2002? Given that the clutch kit is not terribly expensive, it may be worth while to replace all components.

Since I don't have the required setup for a clutch job I'll need to take it to a shop, so I am wondering what can I expect in terms of labour costs ...

M

In all honesty, I have no history of the clutch in this car. I bought the car back in April from a guy who had restored it prior to me buying it, but he did not mention anything about the clutch. Perhaps he re-used the original.

Generally speaking, how difficult is a clutch job on a 2002? Given that the clutch kit is not terribly expensive, it may be worth while to replace all components.

Since I don't have the required setup for a clutch job I'll need to take it to a shop, so I am wondering what can I expect in terms of labour costs ...

M

Clutch replacement is not a big deal, afternoon job.

Don at Autotrend can help you if you don't want to take the job on yourself. http://www.autotrend.net/