icebox

Me and a Mini

14 posts / 2348 viewsLast Reply

It was cool . I ran in for some coffee and when I was coming out I saw him pumping some $5 gas !! Real cool . Some big Mini meet going on aroud here I guess . Thanks for the added picture .

Ran into a RHD Mini at the stoplight a month ago. They make our 02s look like fat Buicks.

The cars compliment each other well. Here's mine with my buddy's '76.

2615489317_c565154043_b.jpg

Rob-

Do you still have the shot of the Mini with the Roundel and Kindney grill? That was a great shot!

Rob-

Do you still have the shot of the Mini with the Roundel and Kindney grill? That was a great shot!

2562259708_9e3434d42a_b.jpg

This one's RHD, too. It's a scary thing to drive, but a complete blast.

Ran into a RHD Mini at the stoplight a month ago. They make our 02s look like fat Buicks.

Was thinking on the same lines. An E30 must look huge compared to an early mini.

The original Minis are absolutely unbelievable cars. I'll grant that the suspension is generously called "archaic" (trumpets, anyone?), but once you're inside most folks that enjoy 02's wouldn't consider themselves cramped. The owner of the example I posted is considering full plates (rather than antiques) for the gas savings alone.

They're relatively easy to work on and they get far more attention than our 02's (no doubt about that... We park side by side constantly and I never get noticed. If anything could make my eyes wander... That'd be it.

BUT... Nothing could make my eyes wander!

Here is a photo of my son's E30 with my mini just before I took him out and gave him some driving lessons along the coast.Just kidding!

Photobucket

I'd have to agree/disagree a bit now that i'm shoulder deep into my innocenti mini..

Yes- they do attract attention and are a blast to drive. The interior space is amazing despite its size.

No- they aren't easy to work on! This clutch/flywheel assembly is wierd, and i've never had to use lapping compound to assemble ball joints.

This is probably the most cost dense vehicle i've owned! It seems everything is twice the price and half the size.

Bitterness aside. I'm glad I have one---it'll all be worth it on my first drive, and it does get surpisingly good fuel economy. No shots along with my 02....partly due to the fact that they are both on jack stands at the moment.

post-401-13667591704406_thumb.jpg

Here's my '73 2002, '73 Mini, '71 240-Z, and what the heck, my '68 Double Cab. Oh Ash, no jack stands here...Robert

post-1591-13667591754194_thumb.jpg

hahah-- good to hear from you Robert-- sorry I never got back to you...been busy...

say which motor are you running in your mini?

It has the 998 with 1.25 SU. Gotta talk my wife into a Stage I upgrade, seeing as how it's her car.