74Sahara

New guy intro

12 posts / 1810 viewsLast Reply

Hey there,

As a new user here, I just thought I'd introduce myself.

My name's Daniel, I've got a '74 2002 that I bought in the summer of '90 from the original owner, a recent widow in her 60s. She and her husband both bought '02s in '74, and after her passing, she couldn't bear to look at hers any more, so put in on the market. She seemed very happy the car was going to someone who was very definitely "into" it, and would take good care of it, so she gave me every single sheet of documentation on the car back to the sales invoice AND a letter from the factory letting her know her car had just been loaded on the ship to the U.S.!

The car has a sunroof, 4-speed, and the requisite Weber upgrade. The car ran great, and was very well cared for mechanically, but due to having spent its life at the beach, was in need of some cosmetic work. I cleaned it up, replaced all the bright trim, did some touch-ups and added a set of E30 14" bottle caps and Michelins.

I drove it over to her house, wanting to show her that it really was being well taken care of, and thinking she'd be overjoyed at seeing it look like new again, but unfortunately, she broke down and cried when she saw it (her daughter later told me it had reminded her mom of the day she and her husband bought it)...talk about feeling like a heel, when you'd set out with such good intentions!

I used it as my daily driver for about two years, until one night my wife was out driving it and it overheated...and she continued driving it all the way home! Head gasket blown, probably warped the head, etc. Shortly after, we divorced (unrelated!), and with all those expenses, child support, alimony, two homes to run, etc., my beloved car had to go into storage "as is", the plan obviously being short-term. Ahem. Its now been 16 years, and I'm just getting around to messing with it again!

Sooo - I'm looking forward to getting back into the car and coming back up to speed on my knowledge levels, but I'm a little rusty in all that is "2002", so pardon what will no doubt seem like the occasional elementary questions...

Welcome! Interesting story, but good to see you're getting back into it. Where in SoCal are you located? There's a drive this Sunday specifically for Vintage BMW's if you'd like to see some more: www.SoCalvintageBMW.com. Look under "Warm up drives."

-Matt

welcome, i love hearing these stories. i look forward to seeing pics of it along the way

Great story, Daniel. Keep it Sahara -- we can't all re-do our '02's in Inka. BTW, my 1st car (for all of $600) was a '71 Maverick, but no 302, just the avg. inline 6 cyl. engine. Very reliable, but a gas hog IMO.

Welcome! Interesting story, but good to see you're getting back into it. Where in SoCal are you located? There's a drive this Sunday specifically for Vintage BMW's if you'd like to see some more: www.SoCalvintageBMW.com. Look under "Warm up drives."

-Matt

Thanks! I saw that - unfortunately, its a LONG way from being ready for a drive...

I hope somebody told you about the dress code. Gotta bring yo' A-Game if you're going to hang 'round these parts, my friend. Fortunately, Sahara 'taint hard to match in Zoot.

LOL.

Ummm...maybe I could just get away with a beige Nomex suit???

Welcome, Daniel! Hope you're glad you kept it all these years, and have a ton of fun getting it back on the road, and most importantly, DRIVING IT!

Lotsa knowledgeable and friendly, helpful folks on this forum - but also try the Search, there's almost no questions that haven't been asked before and a lot of good info buried in forum previous threads.

Tom

Post some pics when you get a chance.

Here you go.

post-1769-13667591677401_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys.

It's nice to know there's still a center for '02 info after all this time. I was a little concerned I was going to be on my own trying to put her back together!

Since several of you have asked for pics, I'm offering up this one (which has always been a favourite pic, period), taken shortly after my "resto" in 1990.

Sorry for the quality; this was definitely "pre-digital age" photography!

BMW2002.jpg

(Yikes - that little guy with me in the foreground is now 19!)