OldSkool

Sunroof delete

15 posts / 2542 viewsLast Reply

Is it possible to delete the sunroof on these cars? I am a new 02 owner with a sunroof, and would prefer not to have one. Is there a panel I can weld in place, or a roof panel that can be purchased and welded on?

Guest Anonymous

KEEP THE SUNROOF!!!!!!!!

KEEP THE SUNROOF!!!!!!!!

I don't want the sunroof. I don't want to deal with leaks, and water running down the drains into the rockers, etc.

Are roof panels / stampings available from Mobile Tradition?

rear sunroof drains takes about 15 minutes, vs many hours and lots of $$$ to remove the sunroof. Check the archives for how to reroute the drains, or drop me an e-mail--I did a column on this some years ago.

mike

rear sunroof drains takes about 15 minutes, vs many hours and lots of $$$ to remove the sunroof. Check the archives for how to reroute the drains, or drop me an e-mail--I did a column on this some years ago.

mike

I am a new 02 owner, as mentioned, but I had read that the sunroofs also contribute to a lot of extra body flex, and even cracking in the roof at the corners of the sunroof.

Any info on that?

years and haven't noticed any additional flex or cracking around the sunroof openings. Actually, with all the extra bracing in the roof to support the panel, I suspect the sunroof cars are a little stiffer than the non sunroof cars. I think your fears are unfounded.

mike

If you're a hardcore racer or autoxer then sure, getting rid of the sunroof with strengthen the body, but it's not like tooling around the streets in a sunroof car will result in damage to the frame or anything. Keep it, it's nice to have. If you don't want to use it, reroute the drains and keep it closed, you'll forget it's there in no time.

years and haven't noticed any additional flex or cracking around the sunroof openings. Actually, with all the extra bracing in the roof to support the panel, I suspect the sunroof cars are a little stiffer than the non sunroof cars. I think your fears are unfounded.

mike

Good info!

Weren't there aftermarket sliding sunroofs for these cars? Surely that can't be a good thing to add, long-term?

mike

Here we go - I was reading this thread:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,268864/highlight,sunroof+aftermarket/

....to answer your original question :

NO there is no filler panel offered by mobil tradition,

never was or will be.

Anyone performing this has one fabricated, welded, filled, painted,

or a complete non-sunroof roof is replaced which is very doable by professionals like Matt McGinn in Connecticut. Usually , folks are going in the other direction with this - removing a non-sunroof roof and installing a sunroof roof. Of course to do what you want also requires a new headliner without a hole.

Keep the roof, correct the factory poor routing of the drain tube exits, and maintain it properly. It is an asset - to some.

Here we go - I was reading this thread:

That is not a factory roof, that is aftermarket.

I have never seen any structural issues around the factory sunroof. But yes, do reroute the drains, I've seen plenty of cars with rusted out rocker panels.

You can swap roofs, I had someone buy a chassis of a 2002tii I parted out years ago to do exactly that. It is major work though for a swap.

Is it possible to delete the sunroof on these cars? I am a new 02 owner with a sunroof, and would prefer not to have one. Is there a panel I can weld in place, or a roof panel that can be purchased and welded on?

trade your car straight across with someone who wants a snrf. should be easy.

Keep and learn to enjoy your sunroof, there is nothing like motoring down the road with the sunroof open, hearing the noise of your M10 and enjoying the sunshine. I will never own another car again without a sunroof. I live in CA and my sunroof is open every chance I get.

In fact, my tii came without a sunroof, I chopped off the roof of my car and took the sunroof clip from my parts car and swapped them. I ran the sunroof drain holes so they exit through wheel well rather than the rocker panels in the rear. I have no regrets and wonder why I took so long to do it.

G-Man

go to a you pull the part yard , a battery powered sazwall would be the fast way to cut out the roof section from another 02. That piece will have the correct curvature.