Grover

Retrofitting rear view mirror

12 posts / 2515 viewsLast Reply

During a trip to the Richmond, CA Pick 'n Pull today, I came across an early 5-series (the one prior to the E28.) Motor looked clean, body was smashed in the front, but the interior was incredibly clean. Great carpet, perfect door panels, nice seats, PERFECT dash, 3 nice 15x6 5-lug turbine wheels, etc... Anyway, I yanked off the rear view mirror since it's much larger than the '02 one but has the same mount. However, when I got it home I found the angle of the arm is quite different, and bumps into the windshield gasket. Comparing to the '02 mirror, the arm is both less steeply raked and also doesn't have a notch in it. For those who have done this before, is it possible to transplant the mounting arm from the '02, or am I better off making a notch in the 5-series on and putting on fresh coat of paint on the arm?

post-982-13667591627995_thumb.jpg

I've transplaned several larger mirrors from other BMW models - the one I like best is the bavaria mirror - though it may be the same dimensions as the E12 5 series one you have. The e30 one will hit the sun visors - though they're ultra common.

To swap out mirror/stalks - I put them in hot water for a few minutes - then pop 'em off the ball/socket. You risk cracking the mirror glass - so practice on the one you're not going to use, first! :-)

I'll NEVER go back to the original puny 02 mirror!

HTH!

Paul Wegweiser

Okay. Just so I'm clear, once they've been in hot water, are you pulling the ball FROM the socket, or are you leaving the ball IN the socket and just yanking the arm off of the ball, so to speak?

I just put a mirror from an '81 320i in mine, Its like an inch and a half bigger! The mount didn't quite fit so I just popped the ball joint out and used my original mount with the updated mirror, I had to shim it a touch with a piece of rubber (bicycle inertube) and it works perfect, much more visibility.

During a trip to the Richmond, CA Pick 'n Pull today, I came across an early 5-series (the one prior to the E28.) Motor looked clean, body was smashed in the front, but the interior was incredibly clean. Great carpet, perfect door panels, nice seats, PERFECT dash, 3 nice 15x6 5-lug turbine wheels, etc... Anyway, I yanked off the rear view mirror since it's much larger than the '02 one but has the same mount. However, when I got it home I found the angle of the arm is quite different, and bumps into the windshield gasket. Comparing to the '02 mirror, the arm is both less steeply raked and also doesn't have a notch in it. For those who have done this before, is it possible to transplant the mounting arm from the '02, or am I better off making a notch in the 5-series on and putting on fresh coat of paint on the arm?

Can you give the address for the Pick 'n Pull in Richmond

[email protected]

Tom,

Go see Crazy Ed at BMW Salvage in Berkeley. He has beaucoup larger BMW swap out mirrors for $20. And he knows these cars, he sold me one that popped in and out; it does not touch or rub anywhere, no trimming/notching envolved. Drain his brain...and do you know that fucker is a lawyer! He graduated from UC Berkeley - Boalt Law School. Peace.

If you really get lucky, you'll find an E30 with the map lights built into it (325is, 318is, E30 M3). This E30 mirror will fit into a 2002 and you'll have the cool feature of the map lights built into the mirror. You'll have to wire the map lights into your dome light, so the headliner will have to be removed to get to it. These mirrors are rare but they are out there. I have one in my 74 tii. Do a forum search and you'll find some write ups on how to install mirror with map lights into a 2002.

G-Man

I do it the other way and notch the arm, leaving it tight against the windshield gasket.

It works fine, and seems to vibrate less.

it's all good.

t

The E30 lighted mirror does not require notching of the arm, but you will need to remove 1cm or so of the bolt that holds the adjustable windshield brace. I just peeled the shroud back and sheared the bolt off using a pair of multi-grips.

that was so five years ago...

t

I do it the other way and notch the arm, leaving it tight against the windshield gasket.

It works fine, and seems to vibrate less.

it's all good.

t

+1

e30 mirror and e21 sun visors is a great combination.  5 minute mod that gets bigger mirror and better visors.