vic74

Newbie with a question...your thoughts!

6 posts / 1056 viewsLast Reply

Fellow 02 aficionados,

I'm excited to say I finally got my first 2002, it's a 74 2002 INKA.

I'm putting together a list of mods I'd like to do, so most likely you will see me posting more questions.

Question 1. has anyone installed the exhaust + header system available from Top End performance? your thoughts, please

Question 2. What do you guys thing of the ANSA system?

Thank you all for your input,

Vic

1974 BMW 2002

Don't know about the TEP system, but I run the stock resonator with the Ansa rear dual tip (center outlet). It's an older unit and gives a subdued mellow exhaust note. I've heard some nasty, raspy Ansa systems - not sure why - maybe the resonator, maybe just the way the newer units sound. Hopefully others can shed more light for you.

Welcome, and congrats on the new purchase.

I don't have an answer to your question # 1. The exhaust manifold I have is from Ireland Engineering (stainless and coated) and I love it.

For question 2, I did a search yesterday in fact on the same thing. The prevailing opinion seemed to be that Ansa products are not that good.

My center resonator just developed a bad crack, so I am buying a new one. Didn't want to spend the money on the IE stainless system, so I opted for the stock resonator and muffler from Bavarian Autosport (half the cost of the IE system).

Good Luck.

Ken

Guest Anonymous

After installing a full ANSA system from the manifold back, I enjoyed the "cool sounds" for a while, but after three years of not being able to have a reasonable conversation in the car, or hear the radio unless cranked up, I finally pulled the entire system and went back to stock. I notice no loss in performance and with increased floor insulation, the car interior sounds are now below 100 db's. FWIW.

Roger

'72 Malaga

I followed this debate closely a few months ago because I had a chance to pick up a 12 year old NOS ANSA system. I can't complain about the quality. It's rugged and the welds are neat. Because of all of the cautions about noise I did decide to try it with the stock resonator first. To be honest, I thought it was pretty quiet compared to what I expected. I do have a lot of sound insulation, but even with the windows open, the exhaust sound is pleasant. Then again I've had Ansa systems on other cars and found the exhaust note obnoxious. Go figure...

My car has a stock resonator and ANSA muffler that is about 3 years old. It's loud, but not unbearable. I'd like to find a better sounding muffler between the ANSA and stock.

Anyone have comments on the $$$ Supersprint muffler?