mikebikerad

Anyone have this problem with starter

12 posts / 2020 viewsLast Reply

My 75 with oem Godzilla starter makes a spinning or whirring noise when starting. It seemed like the gear was just spinning so I took out the starter and had Napa test it and all is good. With the starter out of the block, when I hot wire it, the gear spins but when it is installed it just whirsssss!!! anybody have this problem? thanks for the input

mike

Guest Anonymous

I think you need to have the solenoid switch replaced

My flywheel ring gear has a missing tooth or two. When the engine happens to stop with that gap aligned with the starter, the starter spins instead of cranking the engine. The starter engages and starts the engine normally the next time I turn the key to start. If you suspect this, you could watch the ring gear through the starter hole while you slowly rotate the crankshaft through a full revolution.

To clarify your comments, does the engine crank over when the starter is making the noise? Does your starter make the spinning/whirring noise and not crank the engine whether the starter is installed or not? With the starter out and hotwired, does the starter gear slide out from the housing toward where the flywheel would be?

1. weak solenoid--not strong enough to snap the bendix drive into position to engage the ring gear

2. dirt/hardened grease/oil on the starter motor armature where the bendix drive slides to engage the ring gear

3. low voltage at the starter causing the above problems

4. as stated above, a missing or damaged tooth (or teeth) on the flywheel.

You may have to pull the starter motor to find the problem...an on-the-car test at the local parts emporium will only tell if the motor itself is good electricallly, which it apparently is.

cheers

mike

I am having a similar problem with my starter, only it makes horrible screaching/grinding sound for a few seconds (not spinning the engine) and then eventually the screaching stops and the engine spins.

Starter History: Was rebuilt and reinstalled by PO. I pulled again and had re-tested...it's good, reinstalled and got it spinning after responses to an earlier post (seat belt safety switch on the '74).

I have not spun it for any length of time for fear of damaging the teeth on the ring gear which is preventing troubleshooting other areas like fuel & spark.

Any thoughts regarding this noise are appreciated.

Thanks.

Also poor amperage from the starter switch can cause weird things to happen. Usually a click but the battery is good and grounds are good. In that case, I have had good luck with putting in a relay circuit for the start position on the key switch. Sometimes, the key switch has enough ass to make the starter spin but not enough to make the solenoid do it's thing.

John

you have a loose rear armature bushing. Bosch in its infinite wisdom pressed the brass bushing into a plastic sleeve, which in turn is pressed into the end plate. Over the years the sleeve disintegrates so that the bushing spins with the armature when you engage the starter. That's the screech

The plastic sleeve is not available from Bosch, but if you want to make a new rear bushing that eliminates the plastic sleeve, drop me an e-mail. I did a column on this some years ago and it's fairly easy if you have either a drill press or an electric drill, a hacksaw and a file--and access to a hardware store.

cheers

mike

Mike - good call on the starter bushing. Very common problem on air-cooled VW's. Couple of solutions (other than the bushing replacement):

1) Use a self-supporting type starter which doesn't use the bellhousing bushing.

2) Add starter relay for full voltage from battery while cranking. Older cars were designed with wiring from battery to ignition switch, then to starter. Adding a relay will solve many starting issues. I added a small Bosch relay "kit" to my VW and never have to crawl under the car again to jumper the starter solenoid with a screwdriver.

Sounds like the gear's not extending-

either a bad solenoid, stuck or broken parts,

or a lotta rust!

When you hot- wire the starter, the gear should jump out a bit more

than 1/2", and then retract when you remove power.

If you're hot- wiring it by attaching power to the 2 motor leads, it won't do that.

You have to attach power to the solenoid lug, ground the starter,

then jump from the solenoid lug to the starting spade connector.

It should go 'CLACKWhrrrrr.... "

t

ya. I get the whole clack wrrrrrr thing when i jump it. The gear is not engaging and mechanically everything looks good inside. I suspect solenoid at this point. there is also little rust and gunk