elementfmfl

Rust minimal where to go from here

13 posts / 1603 viewsLast Reply

Ok So I have a great car, California original no rust, new head + gasket and have been doing some serious cleaning. I am working on the wheel wells and there is some minimal surface rust showing in the rear of the front wheel wells. I have been considering what is the best way to fight/sort this issue out. I want to stop the rust there is, and prevent anything from forming in the future. I have considered POR 15, a zinc and undercoating treatment, or??? What do you all think for this situation, the pics are below. As usual any and all comment welcome, and I appreciate the help!

The top two pics are pass side. the second two are driver side. The rust on the pass side is a bit worse but is not thru by any means.

post-10316-13667591613953_thumb.jpg

post-10316-1366759161509_thumb.jpg

post-10316-13667591616035_thumb.jpg

post-10316-13667591616921_thumb.jpg

Well you have 2 problems going on there, the rust and then the cracks in the seam sealer that the whole area is covered with. In order to really fix the problem permanently you'll need to remove the fenders and grind all that old sh*t out, but this is probably not in the program so what I would do is on both fenders remove that bottom bolt and scrap the rusted area as good as I could, I don't think you'll be able to get any kind of meaningful sanding done in there and then blow it out with compressed air and clean it with brake clean and POR15 the whole back of the fender area and any cracks you can find in the seam sealer. After that be sure to hose out that area regularly to keep the dirt build up down. On my 74 Tii I have the fenders off right now and after a thorough clean up I coated the whole area with Hurculiner which is the same stuff they coat pick up beds with.

Hey man, Larry here. Get yourself some rustbullet, it is a very close color to what's in the pic, and is great stuff. How the wheels working out?

Larry

Thanks for the responses guys!

Larry the wheels are looking really good, friend of mine is going to respray them for me, and I added spacers to the front end so they fit right. I will get you a few pics as soon as I have it all back together. Working on the swaybar right now. Let me know when you head over to SCR.

I think you may discover a hole or heavy pitting on the inner fender + plus the fender bracket is almost always rusty + the inside of the fender will show a lot of rust.

You should take care of it before it gets out of hand

I think you may discover a hole or heavy pitting on the inner fender + plus the fender bracket is almost always rusty + the inside of the fender will show a lot of rust.

You should take care of it before it gets out of hand

Agreed. The rust you can see is always the tip of the iceberg. Putting some POR-15 (or similar product) may slow it down. Ignore it and you could end up dealing with this.

http://2002tii-restoration.org/projects/front_column_100903.htm

right_column_01.jpg

Cheers,

Pretend like it's not there!...think of it as patina. I wouldn't sweat the small stuff, your car looks great as is. Save up some loot for a respray and deal with any minor rust/ body issues then.

Nigel- good call! Dont want her looking too good! Im not driving in poor weather to often anyway Ill probally give it a little rust prevent treatment and have you guys paint it sooner of later.

Guest Anonymous

that is in amazing shape really, It is covered in paint still.

that is in amazing shape really, It is covered in paint still.

Thanks, the car is in excellent shape overall. I checked the rear side of the fenders today. They are solid, no rust on the backside. I have been degreasing the undercariage with simple green and am amazed to see the original undercoating and paint looking as good as it does. I think I will just use some of the rust bullet Larry mentioned and then have Nigel and the guys @ SCR paint when possible. I just didnt want the issue to get out of hand.

Holy shit man, I was at SCR today! I lost your number. Great place, by the way. They fed me, so that was cool.

Larry

Larry, good to see you today. Sorry I wasn't as sociable but I had to zen out on painting those lids and doors!

Brian, if you want a simple and cheap rust prevetative until you decide to repaint etc...just spray something like WD40 on those spots every once in a while...it seems kind of "ghetto" but any kind of oil on the bare/rusted metal will prevent oxidation...

On that note I met an elderly german guy once that used to run a shop. He said he mixed light machine oil and heavy motor oil and did a yearly spray in the rockers etc. I think I'll do the same but add a little paraffin. So that is what I'll be doing. I run some down the sunroof drains once and a while. He told me just to be sure and do it on a nice hot dry day so as not to trap any moisture.