Sign in to follow this  
citizenchan

318i Distributor upgrade and/or pertronix

5 posts / 1466 viewsLast Reply

I've got the stock 318i Vac adv. Distro # 0 237 002 080

I'd like to put a pertronix ignitor in there, but I'm not sure one is made for it. So my question is this:

Is there a better distributor I could use? Is vacuum better than mechanical, or? Would I run into problems with the L-Jetronic?

And, can I use a pertronix ignitor with this distro?

Thanks.

I think the 318i spins the opposite way. No good.. Stock mechanical advance with petronix would be fine.

dog ny

post-2527-13667591618588_thumb.gif

The 318i came with electronic ignition from the factory, so I doubt they have a Pertronix unit for it. Either update it with MSD or Ford's EDIS system.

http://www.alternativeauto.com/waterbox/wb_archives/edis.html

Thank you. I'm a newb. I was looking at my Bentley book and looking a the impulse generator. Aside from sounding like something from Star Trek, I was perplexed. I'm assuming this is essentially my points/pertronix then, would help to read the whole section I guess. I shouldn't be thinking about my car while I'm supposed to be working anyway I guess.

Thanks for the help.

If you're interested in selling that distributor, let me know. I've got a new 1.8i head with cam and will need a backwards distributor to complete my rebuild.