boxy02

Paint question (dumb?)

12 posts / 2434 viewsLast Reply

Can dual stage paint (base coat) be treated as single stage paint? For example, can I spray a car with the base coat of a dual stage paint, not shoot the clear coat and color sand it then buff it to be single stage paint? If I did this would it last? how long?

Thanks,

the base has no protective property. Think of 2 stage paint as looking at a framed picture. The color (base) is paper thin, the clear it is your protection for what you see behind it (the glass). Actually clear is in a sense single stage paint but without the pigments, sort of not exactly, but you get the picture...

Thanks for the info! CD, where the heck do you get all those facts and figures?!! Awesome!

is flat or dull looking after is dries and the clear coat it what make the gloss.

what you could do is buy some acrylic enamel in the color of choice from where ever....then buy a gallon of Lazer Dry from Smartshopper...it mixes 1 to 1 with the paint plus you have to add ae hardener....spray it like you would a single stage....multiple coats are ok as long as you apply them within the re-coat window

don't sand, don't clear-coat...the hardener will make it like any topcoat but it'll have a semi-gloss appearance, not flat if that's what you're looking for....you can also buy a single stage paint in a flat finish...the downside is not many colors are available...and it may be like it was with the early fords where you can get any color you like...as long as it's black

Kirker sells a good acrylic enamel at a very good price...if you're on a tight budget, look at their modified acrylic enamel

Hi Esty, can you tell me how you know/figured that out? Thanks!

only because i frequent a few paint forums and have learned a little about a lot from reading the forums

i know from reading that nason's ful-thane is a single state urethane...

A fantastic book on car painting is "How To Paint Your Car" from Motorbooks. ISBN 0-7603-1583-3. It can be had at Borders for $19.95. I've seen it at several.