Oil Pressure?

5 posts / 1043 viewsLast Reply

I just finished my 5 speed conversion on my '71 2002. All anxious to try my 5 speed I started it and the oil light wouldn't go off! The oil level is good and clean, the light goes off when I unplug the oil pressure switch, I tried switching switches but to no avail. I took the switch off, disconnected the coil and turned it over to see if oil comes out the hole, and a small steady stream comes out. Everything was fine before I did the tranny swap. I don't understand why the oil light stays on. I really want to try my 5 speed but I want to make sure that the engine is in good health. Could an oil pump go bad while swapping a transmission!? Do I need a different oil in it? (5w30 currently) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I assume you mean "swapping a transmission" instead of "swapping an engine," because obviously a donor engine could have a bad oil pump. That said it seems like your oil viscosity is pretty light - 20W50 is what the car calls for.

Thanks for the fix, but I ran 5w30 in it before I did the tranny swap and it never complained?

your car to determine the "real" oil pressure--just to make sure.

As I'm sure you know, the oil pressure warning light sender is at the tail end of the engine's oil distribution system, so it's being measured at the oil's lowest pressure point. And the sender should switch off when the pressure gets to 7.5 psi. With that (relatively) thin oil, it might take a few seconds for the light to switch off, but no more than a few seconds.

Check it just to make sure; you don't want to lunch an engine.

mike

Thanks for the help. I feel stupid/relieved. As I was putting the engine back in, I put a nice dent in the oil filter. I didn't notice this (?) and got everything ready to fire it up and was going to change the oil after it was warm. The light wouldn't go out. The mechanic I'm apprenticing under pointed out the dent but figured it couldn't cause anything but suggested I change it anyway. Its what I did and now the 2002 is back in commission! It is also much better with the 5 speed.