Goge

First post! Hello and a question...

9 posts / 1507 viewsLast Reply

Hello-

Happy to have stumbled upon a great 2002 forum! Lots and lots of great advice here (yes I've been lurking).

I just picked up a '76 a couple weeks ago, it was a basket case somewhat. Repainted 8 years ago, the owner wasn't happy with his paint job, then put it outside under a tarp until about a month ago. Looks like all the parts are there, it runs, but I'm going to have to do some rustoration and help its paint job a bit. Right now I'm just trying to put it back together! Trim, windows, doors, all were taken apart.

Anyway, my question is where the ground in the passenger rear by the tail light goes? There are at least two brown wires that terminate in a spade connector. But I can't find a mate anywhere in the trunk? There isn't a whole lot of length in the wire, but there are a couple fasteners nearby. Sorry for the crummy pic. Anybody help me out? I guess I could just go anywhere really, but thought I'd ask. I guess I just wanted to post.

I'm no stranger to old cars, I have a '72 914 that has been my friend for about 12 years now. And BMW's, I have an e30 that I drive every day and love dearly!

Thanks,

-Todd

post-12981-13667591603352_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the clan ! I believe those go to the red side markers that fit in the hole in the pic. Your car sounds alot like how mine was when I found it. PO didn't like the new paint and just parked it, unassembled.

Thanks for the reply! I think you are right, maybe it's not for a ground point at all. Just the negative lead to the marker light. I had figured the plastic-covered one went to the marker and that this other one was a ground. But now it makes more sense, since the marker needs a pos and neg. There appeared to be a ground on the driver's side, with a round bolt-down connector on the end of the wire. I need to make sure I have the right number of wires left on that side for the marker though, too.

When I got the car, it had sheepskins on the seats, but they had weird bald patches on them. Since then I've run into two mouse nests, and now I know where all the wool went from the bald patches. I should've taken pictures, but there are probably enough rodent-nest pictures on car forums anyway.

Thanks,

-Todd

On earlier cars (pre '74), there is a ground attachment under the right hand trunk floor board on the left side of the gas tank.

Your Porsche is probably the same so this may be old news; ground wires are brown in '02s.

You'll find the rest of your sheepskins in the heater box and under the fusebox.

Thanks Jerry- yep it's been drilled into me, brown=ground.

Under fuse box, sheepskin remnants... check! I had to buy one of those plunger/grabber things to get all that crap (literally) out.

The other remnants were under and to the right of the glovebox. Where's the heater box? The usual place, center underneath dash?

-Todd

Guest Anonymous

Welcome!

Without directly answering your post, I would suggest that as a new recruit you stroll through the FAQ area of the board. It may answer many of the 02 questions that have not yet occurred to you. Equally important, take a look at the archives. There is a wealth of information there too!