bey

1976 2002 hard time starting

5 posts / 975 viewsLast Reply

Hello all

I have 1976 bmw 2002 automatic with a Weber 38/38. My ignition setup is msd 6a pertronix ingnitor and a bmw black regular coil. I time the car with a timing light utilizing the timing ball on the flywheel. The car runs great and idle very good but it has a hard time starting in all situations. Most of the time before it starts puff of smoke would come out of the carburetor. The carburetor is 6 year old. I tried advancing the timing and then retarding the timing without success. I think the carb is running too rich for starting. Just wandering if anyone had the same problem with 38/38 Weber and how they solved it.

brad

I press the gas pedal and hold it to the floor. I do not pump the gas pedal.

do you have an automatic choke? If yes, set choke by pressing pedal once and releasing. Then turn on ignition and starter for 5 seconds. It should catch. Holding the pedal will surely flood the engine. .....after it catches give it a bit of gas and bring the RPM's near 1800 and warm it a bit. This kills the autochoke latching but keeps the enging revving.

If this procedure doesn't work, search the carb for issues. Dirt, incorrect float level, incorrect sizing of the jets, clogged idle jet or passagways, gulp valve wiring, emulsion tubes dirty, blocked, clogged. You get the idea.

And of course, valves, points, dizzy, rotor, wires, firing order,etc. need to be correct. Blocked fuel filter or old, tired fuel pump contribute to difficult starting. And lastly, a leak or misconnected vacuum line in the emission control system makes for a hard start. Good Luck.

Oh, the puff of smoke from the carb i think is a backfire. I can't remember exactly which part of the engine is implicated however I think if you recheck your valve settings and time it 0 deg. TDC it should eleminate the intake side backfire. Ask around.

check your valve clearence COLD

farting back through the carb is a sure sign of burned valvesand seats, or valves with too little clearence, and irratic ignition, and overly LEAN

mixture when accelerating