srfjay

cool driver. 1968 1600. update aug 25/08

40 posts / 7464 viewsLast Reply

Well here is my 1968 1600 that i will be making a track/street car. I have built other cars before but nothing that needed this much work. But i like a challenge so it is ok. I will be trying to take pics as i work on it. Had it for about 2 weeks and this is were it is at. jason

20023.jpg

20022.jpg

20021.jpg

sale017.jpg

sale016.jpg

sale015.jpg

sale014.jpg

sale013.jpg[/img]

Ok got some work done today in trunk aera . Will be filling in the old gas tank spot and the spare tire section. I will be going with a fuel cell .

car004.jpg

car007.jpg

car008.jpg

car009.jpg

car001.jpg

Plus i have rust under both front and rear windows . I will be replacing the rear section. Not sure about the front corners any one come across this yet and if yes how did you deal with it.

car011.jpg

car010.jpg

First i want to thank bart also known as Thatguy on the board for coming over and giving me some welding tips it was a huge help. Ok so i got some work done on the two corners under the front windshield that was completely rusted out.

Before.

car010.jpg

car011.jpg

After still need to grind down weld and add some filler but i am happy with it since it is First time down any body work.

car2004.jpg

car2001.jpg

Plus got the roof primed and some trim wholes welded up.

car2006.jpg

Looking better Jay. Remember, practice, practice, practice on the welding. The more you do the better you get.

Those are tough areas to repair, good on you for taking on such a job.

Keep us updated.

Oh, and don't forget to treat the rust INSIDE of any body panels you can reach.

Thanks man . Ya i used some rust stuff for the inner panels. I am getting better every day .I got lots done this week will post pics up soon.

You did good on those patches! Wish I had the space, tools and, most of all, knowledge to do bodywork.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Thanks man ,but to tell you the truth I am learning as i go with getting all the tools and body work.

First is a new pic of the corner under the front windshield .I ground the welds down then hit it with some filler now just need to do a final sand on it.

car3001.jpg

Second i got my first layer of primer on most of the body.

car3002.jpg

car3003.jpg

Last was the fender it had a big rust hole that i put a patch in and filled in all the extra holes . I was going to get new fender but thought to myself that i wanted to learn body work so i kept them and just fixed em up . I think it turnd out good for my first time.

car3004.jpg

car3005.jpg

This is were i patched it should have takedn photos but was busy and forgot will do it for the other fender.

car3006.jpg

Well done on attempting the welding and bodywork. It looks like it came out great.

I wish i had a 68 1600!

Ok so i got some seats for the car not sure what they are from but they are fiberglass and very light plus good shape. I do know they are from 70s or 80s.

seats002.jpg

seats001.jpg

looks good, will you be keeping the rat racer matt finish or are you going for a gloss coat?

EDIT: Also if your gona be tracking it maybe take out the sound proofing if you can bear the louder road noise

I will be doing a gloss coat two-tone. I know what colors but it is going to be a surprise. My goal is to be done by end of summer so hope everything goes to plan . Jason

Ok i used the dry ice method today on the floor took about 2 hours . I read online that you break it up in little pieces and move it around but it was much easier for me to have one or two big chunks and slide those around. As for rust not to bad thought it was going to be a lot worse . So i will cut some panels out and por15 the floor .

soundd003.jpg

soundd002.jpg

soundd001.jpg

I also weighed out the big chunks some of the pieces turned to dust after hitting it but got most .This is just the floors not the tranny tunnel. So 16 pounds not to bad.

soundd004-1.jpg

i guess that answers my questions, ive heard you canbget like 30kg's out of just the sound proofing, but i may be wrong.

Hey bingbong just noticed you edited that in. Well there is some more sound deadening on the tranny tunnel i will need to heat gun and scrap off so not sure how much weight all together.