gusopenshaw

Greenhorn Questions re: Instrument Cluster

3 posts / 555 viewsLast Reply

I know this must be superbasic, but I am having trouble: How do you get the cluster out.

Also, once it's out, I am going to send it to be restored. I would welcome any recommendations.

thanks!

Guest Anonymous

Remove the black paperboard underdash panels that are secured with phillips screws. Looking up from where the pedals are find the two knurled aluminum nuts which hold the cluster in place. Also look for the knurled knob securing the speedometer cable into the back of the speedometer. Once these are removed you should be able to remove the cluster by pulling it toward the rear of the car. Removing the steering wheel will give you much more room.

shermanmartinez@hotmail.com

If ou have an early car (71 or older) there are also two screws on the underside of the housing top (visible from the drivers seat) that must be removed. Later cars don't have 'em.

And as for re-doing, depending on what you have in mind, simple cleaning and bulb replacing is easy, and if the instruments themselves are in bad shape, you'd be better off buying a used cluster in good condition. Plenty are available, just post on the wanted board (be sure to specify year--there are three different styles)

mike