EWN2002

Reverse light, shifter shaft, output tranny seals...How to?

7 posts / 1230 viewsLast Reply

I've been reading on the forums here but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for, so I'm asking and hoping that someone knows or can post a link.

I've got the transmission out of my car in preparation for an engine removal. When I was working to remove it, I could clearly see several drops of fluid on the rear of the transmission from up high. As long as I have it out and can work on it with relative ease, I'd like to fix any little bugs with it while I can. So in addition to an engine rebuild, I'll be rebuilding the shifter linkage, and replacing the release and pilot bearings and associated bushings, etc.

How easy is it to replace the shifter shaft seals, reverse light switch seals, and rear output shaft seals?

It looks like the reverse light switch is real simple...just put a wrench on it, unscrew it, pull of the old o-ring style seal and insert a new one? Is it really this easy?

I see the rear output seal and how it works, and I have the impact gun with a 30 mm socket. Do I need to replace any of those bearings in there or repack them with any grease etc?

My big question is the shifter seal. How easy is it to do? Do I have to open the case to do it? Where is it? I can't seem to see it in any of the parts diagrams.

I don't want to open the case at all, because that could be a bigger can of worms than a fluid drip every now and then.

Sorry for asking, but all of the service manuals I have (Chilton, Clymer, Haynes, McCartney) don't mention it, or discuss a total tear down and rebuild with 400 steps, which isn't what I need.

Thanks!

Reverse Light Switch: It's really just that easy.

Shifter and Rear Seals: The shifter seal should be a little ring of metal and rubber where the shaft meets the case. Pick it out with some needle nose pliers or a flathead screwdriver and a few gentle taps of a hammer and slide it along the shaft to remove it. Use a piece of PVC pipe fits over the shaft to tap the new seal in.

As for the rear, use your impact to remove the output flange and dig out the old seal with a pick or screwdriver, Usually, damaging it will ease its removal. Tap the new one in with a flat board over it so it doesn't deform.

You might as well buy the $24 full seal set for the transmission from Bavarian Autosport.

23009065645.jpg

Unless that 30mm socket you have is of the thin walled variety, it won't fit on the output flange nut. It is real narrow in there and I bought one and modified it just for that purpose. take a look.

Picture003.jpg

Also FYI a normal tranny will have fluid on the outside of it coming from the vent hole on the side. Don't ever expect it to be 100% dry...

I replaced the reverse switch & output seal and used a 19mm deep socket for the reverse light switch and 30mm thin-wall socket (bought mine from Bav Auto.).

To keep the shaft from turning, I made a very crude "wrench" from 10 GA sheet metal. I also replaced the guibo flex coupling since mine was cracked after closer inspection.

Make sure you replace the locking "cup" washer to keep the center bolt from loosening.

post-8235-13667591579632_thumb.jpg

post-8235-1366759158067_thumb.jpg

post-8235-1366759158149_thumb.jpg